TN: VINTAGE 2010 Dinner...Screagle Red/Blanc, MacD, Rayas Red/Blanc, Vatan, Marcassin, Pontet Canet

What started as…“Let’s have dinner, I’ll bring a 2010 Rayas CdP?” “Ok…I can bring a 2010 Screagle Blanc you guys have all been wanting to try…Hell…even the 10 Red too!” “Well…I see your 2010 Screagle, and I’ll raise you a 2010 Macdonald!” “And…I’ll kick that Screagle Blanc to the curb, to go up against my 2010 Vatan!”…

So…a head to head 2010 Vintage Tasting Dinner tonight was ON! There will be 5 of us, and so far the line up is:

2010’s

Screaming Eagle Cabernet
Screaming Eagle Sauv Blanc
Rayas CdP Reserve Rouge
Rayas CdP Reserve Blanc
MacDonald CS
Pontet-Canet
Marcassin Marcassin Chard
Edmond Vatan Sancerre Clos la Néore
Philipponnat Champagne Brut Clos des Goisses

Probably more.

Prepping…the Screagle Blanc cork was totally caked on the bottle…what a mess! All wines smell GOOOOOOOD!

Notes to follow later.

12 Likes

Hell of a lineup!

2 Likes

If I didn’t already love you, I’d hate you out of envy.

Hope they all taste fabulous!

Notes, please!

4 Likes

The PM system on this board sucks! Always losing my invites to these get togethers!!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Looking to fill that even half dozen (Nor Cal?)?? Unfortunately, just looked and 2010 not one of my cellar strengths :disappointed:
Will be looking for the notes.

2 Likes

Wow, HELLUVA lineup my man!! Love this so much!

Can not freaking wait for some Buzz notes on these (especially interested with it being 2010/Son’s birth-year) :cheers:

3 Likes

Dayum . . .

1 Like

OH MOMMA!!!

Odd that I could not post this reply only with the OH MOMMMA line. Says not a complete sentence.

Sigh… @Jorge_Henriquez

Amazing, the ‘10 MacDonald was my red wine of the year last year. Also love the Screagle SB. Hope they all show well for you

Thread Drift Alert

Rich, if you are looking for a few more moderately priced 2010 California Cabs, I would suggest the 2010 Dunn HM or 2010 Forman.

Looking forward to the notes on the wines, Brian! That is quite a lineup.

Such a great call @Ed_Steinway , thank you! I just might have a magnum of 2010 Dunn HM in the cellar but i definitely need to snag some Forman at some point :cheers:

Damage….consensus Red…Screaming Eagle…White…Vatan…ALL were singing!!!

8 Likes

Well done, boys.

Central Valley in the house. :muscle:t2:

1 Like

Buzz,
Looks like a fabulously enjoyable night!

Curious about your decanters in the first couple of pics. I’ve been looking for some smaller diameter decanters that don’t take up so much room on the table when we have multiple wines open. Yours look like a great option, care to share?

Not Mr. Buzzini but I use some similar ones:

1 Like

2010 is a great but expensive birth year to have, although perhaps less so if you aren’t buying burgs.

1 Like

Have had it for a long time and really don’t remember where I got it? I believe it’s Riedel.

1 Like

For sure!! Pretty good vintage almost universally so i went deep and wide (some non-Berserkers may even say i went a little overboard, ha!). But, luckily for me in terms of my wallet, Burgundy is one of the few places that has never really sung for me! I know, that’s craziness and I’m sure you’ve got plenty of bottles that would easily change my mind @MChang …but from a purely cost-based perspective, it’s not a horrible thing, ha! :cheers:

Great job Buzz+++. Edson - looking good my man!

1 Like

2010 Edmond Vatan Sancerre Clos la Néore - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (4/6/2024)
Splash decanted then open in bottle for 4hrs…best bottle I’ve had to date! This wine was LOADED with exotics and crushed geology…huge citrus attack…ripe orchard and tropical fruits…banana skin …exotics of quince paste, candied limes, lanolin wax, smoked herbs, wild honey…it was floral, it was salty, chalky…electric and SO fascinating! Was consensus white wotn, and my wotn in a company of a lot of great wines! (98 pts.)

2010 Screaming Eagle Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (4/6/2024)
Cellared since release, splash decanted then open in bottle for 4hrs. What a treat to drink this unicorn! First off…14yr old Ca. SB…and it was fresh as a daisy! GORGEOUS nose of spring flowers, lemongrass exotics, little petrol…it had a softness that was very intriguing…lemon chiffon…plenty youthful sour tarts, but really low on acidity…not a lot of cut, but by no means lessened the wine. Exotic and tropical…gooseberry, white peach/flower…has that waxiness and salted minerals…a really calm and impeccably balanced, well made wine. Drank at peak form all night! A true pleasure. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like