TN: Two friends sharing three bottles of wine - Part 3

TWO FRIENDS SHARING THREE BOTTLES OF WINE - PART 3 - Ruth Chris Tysons Corner, VA (7/7/2017)

Having returned from the greatest wine trip of my life, I met up with RJ to savor the fond memories. RJ kindly brought the 09 Coche Corton Charlemagne and I added two red Burgundies. I was surprised by how great the 90 Mortet Chambertin showed.

• 2009 Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru
    No longer showing opulent white fruits, dense yellow fruits, lemon and honey, a hint of pineapple, yellow peach, saline, spicy spices, only a slight hint of Coche flint and mineral. Unbelievable concentration, deeply toned incredibly dense palate, lemon oil and honey, bright acidity, strong mineral presence and an incredibly long coiled and energetic finish. Perhaps not as hedonistic as the last bottle from two years ago as the overall expression is quite serious. I would rather drink the 12 at the moment. (98 pts.)
  • 1990 Domaine Denis Mortet Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru
    Explosive nose displaying decadent intense red fruits, cherry liqueur, cooked fresh plum tomato, strawberry jam, licorice, strong sous bois, caramel, cedar and iron. Exceptional concentration, layers upon layers of decadent slightly dry red fruits, very sweet, medium acidity, earth mineral expression and a long sweet cherry liqueur and caramel driven finish. This is a bit kinky and exotic expression of Chambertin that clearly expresses the vintage character. If you are looking for purity and precision, this is really not for you. (97 pts.)
  • 1961 Armand Roux Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin Grand Cru
    Fully mature nose displaying mostly tertiary nose, only a slight hint of dry cherry, plum, soy, iron, leather, cedar and cola. Fully resolved palate, a hint of cherry, silky, very polished, incredibly sweet, iron, medium acidity and a long finish with soy and cola at the end. Not the most complex expression of Chambertin but showing wonderful sweetness, which can be attributed to proper cellaring. (94 pts.)

I am so thankful that my cousin, Peter, gave me a chance to work at his wine shop thirty some years ago. I have made so many great friends through wine and my life has been so much richer and fuller. Other than falling in love and marrying my wife and starting my family which is my greatest achievement, falling in love with wine is the second best thing that has happened to me.

RJ and I had such a great time that the dinner lasted over six hours. As usual, we solved just about all the world’s problems by the end of the night!
Posted from CellarTracker

A fine account, Kevin.

The title is 2 share 2 bottles, Kevin. Did you have a double vision :slight_smile: (Joke!!!)

Amazing how wine does this! Great read on bottles I can only imagine.

I need to stop drinking.