TN: 2006 Chehalem Pinot Noir Statement

Sunday afternoon casual lunch wine, popped and poured.

Extremely good wine. Rich magenta, no bricking. Strong nose of cherry, hints of cocoa. Already moving past primary flavors, with nice balance of red fruit and earthy loamy qualities. I really like the front - mid - back quality if this wine, with both mid and back bite. Moderate length, and happy complement to food with moderate acidity. Good example of west coast pinot noir.

Great QPRs from Oregon.

I don’t know why we don’t see more posts regarding Chehalem on this board. Their Pinots are truly beautiful. Harry Peterson-Nedry of Chehalem has a vision of the Pinot noir he wants to produce and succeeds spectacularly. His Pinots with age remind me of very good Burgundy (aromatically) but have much more attractive fruit on the palate. What’s not to love?

Peter Rosback

Sineann (ITB)

Small producer from a lesser known market. Looking in CellarTracker, not a single wine Chehalem produces shows up with more than 200 bottles, and only nine with over a hundred. 2011 Stoller (a bigger production I think) was made to the tune of barely 400 cases.

Great producer, hard to discover … thank you WB :slight_smile:.

I’ve always wanted to like their Pinots more. Fine people. My introduction was to their 03s and 04s, which left an indelible impression of ripeness. Didn’t really dig the 06s at IPNC several years back. YMMV. Josh Raynolds speaks quite well of them. There’ve been a sprinkling of successes (for my palate) including a delightful Wadenswil a few years ago.

RT

I really dug the Chehalems from the 98 and 99 vintages, bought a mixed case of the Rion Reserve, Stoller, and Ridgecrest vineyards. Enjoyed every bottle and then quite frankly, just sort of forgot about them. I would be interested in trying some of the newer wines.

I was buying them through the 2006 vintage and just decided to cut back on Oregon producers. My cellar is one third pinots and something had to give; kept my three favorites from Oregon along with a bunch from Calif.

Tasted at the winery once and the new tasting room in Newburg last year. Good wines, including some interesting whites.

These are definitely worthy of consideration if you run across them. I was buying direct from the winery.

Nice. I don’t buy much anymore but still have some 99s. Time to pay them a visit.

Jason