TN: 1998 Ch. Vieux Donjon CdP Rouge

Just as info, the Harry Karis CdP book reports that Cambie came on board at VD in 02, so at least the time frame works better as an explanation. Of course, for those who experience no change in the wine, this doesn’t prove anything, nor would I claim that it does.

All this chatter got me to open my singleton of the 2001 Donjon last night.

Holy Brett Butler!

Just too much horse for me.

YMMV.

“This wine goes to 11”

Just FWIW:
Telegramm is the 2nd wine of Vieux Telegraph, made from younger vines, lesser vats and vines not situated in La Crau. Vieux Telegraph is made from terroir “La Crau” only in the North-East of CdP.
La Roquete (former Roquette) is a seperate property and vineyard close to Rayas and Vaudieu in the North. It seems that only the white is now called “Clos la Roquete”, the red is bottled as “PiedLonge” now …

Yeah, that wine is horse sweat galore, but just bearable for me (I don’t mind it in Chateauneuf du Pape unless it’s really over the top).

Oh, yes, I heard that a restored Stuka flown by two old, deranged, but diehard nazis suddenly came out the blue throwing some heavy-hitters in the village as payback for the severe damage the allied forces inflicted on german ammo stored in the Papal residence back in '44.

That’s why the newly built Domaine Vieux Donjon in the outskirts of the village hasn’t yet been found by Jonathan.

But dont give up: Seek, and thou shall find neener

I loved the 98 Donjon. It was one of my first case purchases. Bought a ton from Wine Library back in the day for 19.99/btl. :wink: