Three bottles of this in one week . . . . [starts with Donnhoff]

What I really needed, Carlos, was some Caribbean labor! You know us Cubans, we shy away from manual labor. You could lay the roofing for me, and I could supervise and tell you how to do it. Then we cook a lechon! And pop some more Allemand.

[wow.gif] [wow.gif]

You would be surprised at how expensive Caribbean labor is. My personal philosophy is to help the economy by always hiring people to do the manual labor that you could do yourself. Life is too short and I work too damn hard to also have to do stuff at home.

Different strokes, I suppose. I thought the entire Donnhoff lineup was disappointing in 2012. Didn’t buy any to cellar, as I preferred the top MSR estates by a dramatic margin.

I live by that motto. This incident was an anamoly as I had to do something to the roof ASAP (raining every day now) and getting a roofing contractor to come out for a spot job like this is a nightmare. Having entire roof reviewed anyway. The tire, well, there are some things a man just must do. And then go wash up to enjoy some fine Riesling.

Umm…wow. Complete disagreement. I showed your post to my wife, and she just shook her head and said “no.”

I gotta say, I enjoyed the 2012s as well. I prefer 2013, but was quite happy with 2012.

Thanks Robert, one of the annual purchases and a personal favourite. Have been buying this since the 2001 vintage. I would agree with David B that this wine benefits with bottle age and I also really like the estate Riesling as well.

Keep your voice down, as this remains a really good QPR

Brodie

Lovely wine year in and out. 24$ is a bit expensive though.
Estate Riesling is super. Had the 1996 recently Mature Mosel, AdL, Barolo, Bourgogne in Copenhagen (Giacosa, Conterno...) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers
What do you think about Tonschiefer?

Well are we talking about preference more than qualitative differences?

I always prefer the MSR and my purchasing reflects that…

I buy tons of MSR wines (largest part of my cellar). Michael flatly stated that he thought the 2012 Leistenberg as disappointment earlier in the thread. Granted his palate and my palate are quite different. He loves Jura wines, and I get nothing from them to give the clearest difference.

Yes but my point was to understand if the found them disappointing compared with prior Donnhoff vintages… Unfortunately I missed the 2012 tastings.

If there was any disappointing vintage it would have been 2011 to my palate. I just plain do not like that vintage - across the board (Nahe, MSR, etc). Soft, soft, soft.

2012 has a magic kind of balance. It does not have the obvious acidity of years such as 2010 and (to an extent) 2013, but it has vibrancy in the style of 2002, 2004 to my palate, and that’s lovely.

My specific complaint with 2012 Donnhoff was that, while the wines were fine, they did not have as much acidity as I expected for the vintage and certainly not as much as I personally prefer. They came off to me as slightly unbalanced (a little too far to the sweet side) for my taste. They aren’t disasters, of course, but I was disappointed relative to say, their 2010s. And also relative to the top MSR producers, which I found to be much more electric in 2012.

David, I am glad you and your wife both like them! Fighting with one’s spouse about whether wines are good is no fun.

You must have hated the 2011s then.

I’m 100% with David on this one. I thought Donnhoff’s '12s were fantastic across the board, as are the '13s (except maybe the trockens, but I’ve only tried one so far and couldn’t give it a thorough assessment).

Good thing we can each make our own decisions! What did you think about 2012 Donnhoff relative to JJ Prum, W. Schaefer, E. Muller, P. Lauer, etc. in 2012? I thought those were all leaps and bounds better. But maybe that is just me.

I have tried plenty of 2012 Donnhoff, Prum and Schaefer (have not opened any of my meager Muller, and I don’t like Lauer’s wines). They are each quite distinct and delicious. I see no reason to compare Nahe versus Mosel for a ranking, but if asked to rank the three I have tried I would say Schaefer, Donnhoff, Prum. Of course Prum always takes longer to show its best IMO.

Have you tried Florian (Peter) Lauer’s wines recently David, if not do revisit. I’ve only tried the auction wines but they sell for the price of most people’s regular releases. The TBA sold last year was pretty amazing, 100 points from the MFW guys.

The 2012 Prum Kabinetts were rockin. How are the 2013s? I’ve only tried the Donnhoffs and Schaefers, all great.