Thoughts on Changing Tastes, or "Why Did I Stop Buying Williams Selyem?"

Note to Eric: I hope everyone realizes I was kidding a bit. I agree with you about Jim’s efforts with Italian varieties. I suggest you try the Ici la Bas Chardonnays. They age better than white Burgundy, just drank the '05 last night.

I’m wanting to keep this thread alive as I’ve enjoyed the discussion immensely, and WS happens to be my favorite winery thus far in my 5 years of drinking wine “seriously”. I have never been disappointed with a WS from the 2009-2013 years thus far. While WS doesn’t seem to be the hot new thing these days, they are very consistent which I value HIGHLY. A few of the 2011s (Westside rd, Rochioli, Morning Dew) I would rank in my top 10 wines of all time thus far. Is it because I tend to open them on memorable occasions, such as at a charming B&B in RRV or a beautiful dinner overlooking the ocean? Maybe…but I’ve loved and savored each bottle.

Williams Selyem acquired a certain cult following back in the day because their Pinots (and Zins) were really good. However, once the principals stopped making the wine and sold the winery, it became (IMHO) just another commercial winery trying to ride the coattails of the brand name. Quality dropped drastically and so did my interest.
DoctorJay

This post and Jay Trickett’s superb original post should be required reading on this board. And not just for Old World partisans who should open their minds a crack about New World wines - really for anyone who loves wine and would benefit from more of an open mind.

Much respect to both of you for your thoughts here.

It’s always helpful to be anchored by a specific memory. Having a sense of presence is far more important to me than any reputation or en vogueness.

I dont have a problem with WS stylistically, but I choke a bit on their price points for the better bottlings… at that price point I get much more joy out of a copain kiser, littorai, or especially radio-coteau.

I like reading threads like these. The introspection and self critical viewpoints of anyone on a wine board are always of interest to me. thanks for the share.

On the Schrader sells to Constellation thread there is a lot of teeth gnashing over the issue of large companies buying small ones etc. My points are
1/what would have happened had nobody bought the old company?
2/it s not always bad

I ve been in various aspects of the wine trade since 1972 and i can say that Wms Seleym is the one winery that has changed the least, in terms of quality and style product etc., since ownership change.

Burt and Ed would not have raised prices?? Put down the crack pipe…

I agree with Mel about the wines staying close to their “style”. I still enjoy their wines and have been drinking them since the 90s. That said the large number of offerings have become quite overwhelming

I continue to purchase a case or two per year of their Pinots, and even though I have plenty of my own, I enjoy the Williams-Selyem’s whenever we pop one.

I especially like to compare the bottlings where we share the same vineyard, like Weir & Olivet Lane.

I dont know the wine at all, but perhaps the Williams Selyem was at a more approachable stage of its life than 2005 burgundy or BDX from good makers

And just realised this is an old post

I would stop buying WS, except it’s too good.

We will make that happen.

Theme for a meeting! [cheers.gif]

I’m in!

Of course, changes are always being made. But I can cite wineries where the previous winemaker picked at 24 brix and used Francois Freres only and the next winemaker picked at 26 brix and used a different mix.

I ask myself: do people notice?? But every time a winery gets sold the assumption is made that things are going to hell in a hand basket.

Where would this be?

Maybe here? Pinot Noir

Jay, I appreciate the revelation your experience provided. Blind tastings always seem to be so informative to me and I learn so much each and every time as it appears you did in this instance.
I still buy and drink WS even tho Im a BIG fan of Burts wines and have found very few since his last vintage [97] to stand up against his. Most of those that have were from Rochioli Vineyard. Another point of all of this is that I do believe our palate changes from time to time and our preferences for style goes along with it. Im going through another shift now, each one going more toward elegance and balance and lighter weight in the reds.

IMHO, one of the best Pinots of all time.

While not one of the best PN ever the 07 RRV was terrific tonight. Savory & dense, not sweet. I liked this almost as much as an epic 07 CA PN opened last weekend, which was $75 when purchased.

In your opinion how many years would you recommend backfilling from places like K&L? I was thinking about cutting it off around 2010 but now you’re making me wonder!