The Katzs Deli Kannonball Matzoball.

Its too high-falutin’ to scratch a pastrami-itch: I want pastrami, rye, and deli mustard. No bullshit.

I hate to admit it, but Shapiro’s out in Indianapolis is probably better these days than any of the NYC suspects. Deli culture has oddly been preserved better in the Midwest than it was back home.

There was a test that someone did (Time Out?) and comparing the various delis – you received something like 14oz of meat at Katz’s so not such a terrible deal (I’ll see if I can find a link).

Is Second Avenue Deli any good? We are staying right by there over Labor Day weekend.

It’s not as good as before Abe was killed. Keep in mind that it is actually kosher, so if you order anything ‘dairy’, it’s going to be a nasty soy facsimile that they feel compelled to offer.

A little OT, but I didn’t realize the circumstances of Abe’s death. Awful.

Corey,

It’s (Sarge’s) acceptable, but when I’m in the neighborhood, I go to Sarges. Second Avenue and 36th street. http://www.sargesdeli.com/

They have a lunch special that includes, soup, an entree (a long list), fries, and a drink for about $15.00. They don’t cheap out on the entree either.

Dan

Thank you Dan.

I just went to their Facebook page…this has got to be a joke:

They mined Jay Hack’s beard for the fillings of that sandwich?

I would hope that the sandwich is served by a cardiologist. Holy f*cktoast.

Corey,

Yep. That’s on their menu, and it will set you back $40 +. You can share the sandwich and still have leftovers. flirtysmile

It also has mayonnaise and ketchup on it, in addition to the other chazerai . [barf1.gif] [barf1.gif] [barf1.gif]

Yes, Shapiro’s is not bad (though finally not that great). Langer’s in LA, on the other hand, is as good a pastrami as I have ever eaten.
This goes to Stuart’s point as well. The best pastrami, imho, has a texture, a quality of still being real meat, that I find Katz’s lacks; it’s a little rubbery and a little low in complexity of flavor, next to the best.

Agree 100% Joshua. I have had pastrami in all the great deli cities coast to coast including most mentioned here but for my money Langers is the best I have had. They have had R.C Provisions as partners for over 40 years producing the Langer Family recipe. R.C also provides the absolute best beef tongue I have had as well. I don’t do the # 19 at Langers though I know people swear by it, it’s topped with coleslaw,swiss cheese and their famous russian dressing, I’m a purist, great rye which Langers has,it’s double baked so the crust is crispy and the interior super soft, mustard and pastrami, that’s it. One day i’m going to do half a #19 and a half traditional.

Cheers,

Bud

Its been years since I’ve had Langer’s. I recall it being excellent, but I was in high school.

The rye is almost as important to the sandwich as the pastrami, though - and this is a big downside of Katz’s. The Rye should have a strong rye flavor, and a dense texture that can hold the meat without bring ‘tough’ - soft, yet toothsome. It should be sour, but not too sour. I don’t think any of the commercial rye bakeries in NYC these days get it quite right, even Eli’s or Rockland Bakery. A lot of the midwestern joints bake their own.

Share with about five people, I think…

Or I could order it for one and be set for the rest of September.

Couple of updates:

My friend Josh, who knows the family that owns Katz’s, tells me there is no change in ownership. It was suggested that there was new ownership.

Speaking of Carnegie deli … the couple that owns it is expected to settle their divorce in a few weeks, so we can look forward to Carnegie re-opening.

That would be great! Hopefully they won’t be stealing any gas this time around.

Langer’s #19 is an abomination in the eyes of the pickled-meat gods. It is slathered with a mayonnaise, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish concocted effluence that has no place on the same plate, let alone same rye, as Langer’s excellent pastrami. What perversity would motivate anyone put mayo, ketchup, and sweet pickle relish on a pastrami sandwich? Not to mention a liquid wilted mess of cabbage, carrots, and sour cream-mayo dressing. Criminal.

Why are there so few places serving decent pastrami in NYC? Out of fashion for health reasons?

Most of the hazzers died of heart attacks, I guess newhere