The Katzs Deli Kannonball Matzoball.

Never had a problem with the corned beef, tongue, pastrami or chopped liver at Katz’s, nor the matzo ball soup, but I did prefer the matzo ball soup at Ratner’s. Man, I miss Ratner’s onion rolls.

This is the stupidest thread I’ve ever read on Berserkers. Who orders the soup at Katz’s?

If not happy with Katz’s (because you basically did the equivalent of ordering the General Tso’s on a trip to Little Pepper), then try Pastrami Queen. Manhattan location is on Lexington in the 70s.

David, this post is in line with your usual stupidity. Any halfway decent Jewish delicatessen should also have decent matzo balls, if not why offer it. And Katz’ being a flagship restaurant should have one that is at least average.

And the reason I ordered it? Because I was with relatives who never eaten at deli before and wanted to try a few things. And when I took the bowl back, I was told that Katz’ sells more matzo ball soup than any other restaurant in the US.

So grow up a little, and think before you post! But then, that has never been one of your strong suits.

I have but it’s been a while since I had it last…I’d suggest it if you happen to be there on a Friday.

Within the last year they have opened up 2 more restaurants at Krog Street Market (http://www.krogstreetmarket.com/) -

Yalla! - http://www.yallaatl.com/ - ( Think of a Middle Eastern Chipotle)

Fred’s Meat and Bread - http://www.fredsmeatandbread.com/

Also - In ATL food news - Ponce City Market is supposed to open soon and should have some good stuff in there - http://www.poncecitymarket.com/

Judging Katz’s by its soup would be like judging any producer by a bottle from your cellar.

Still not thinking before you post.

try this one: “….would be like judging a wine from one of your pathetic tasting notes”

While we’re on the subject the best knish I’ve had in recent memory was at Harold’s in Edison, NJ. The only downside is that it serves a dozen people easily. Yummy creamy, oniony, potatoey goodness.

We had a slice with dinner every night for a week. The excellent pastrami sandwich only lasted 3 days.

Their corned beef is just as good.

Children dial it back a bit.

Good to know, thanks! This thread has had me considering a drive down to Edison. Probably won’t have any time soon though.

You were a vegetarian and went to Katz’s. What did you expect? You go to the counter, you ask for Pastrami on Rye, the counter man asks you whether you want it lean, you look at him and sneer and ask him if you look like you’re from Mars, and you enjoy it before it kills you.

Do they hand stretch the dough? If not, it’s not a real knish. That’s one of my mother’s concessions to being 93. She doesn’t stretch the dough over the kitchen table to make knishes like she used to. But her rugalach are still better than the stuff you get in any bakery.

I have no idea, but the point of this particular knish isn’t the dough but the filling. Also, remind me to tell you my knish story at the next blind dinner.

General Muir’s pastrami rocks. Of course, Todd is a transplant to ATL.

not sure what this is about…but…I’ve been to Katz’s dozens of times since the '80s…and beside pastrami and hotdogs…haven’t found much to rave about…but…do rave about those…

the corned beef is not as good as others’; the pickels and coleslaw are fine…but…the rest of the menu…isn’t what I go there for, including their fries…or turkey sandwiches…do they have tongue? i forget…

Katz’s, imho, has never been the place for pastrami. (For one thing, not even kosher.) Crown’s was they place when they were down there, and they later supplied 2nd Avenue Deli before original owner was murdered. Carnegie did fine; hadn’t heard they closed. Pastrami Queen is actually respectable. Anybody been to this place: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/26/dining/ducks-eatery-harry-and-idas-family-spirit.html? Might try to check it out when I am in NYC next week.

P.S. Go to B&H Diary for soup!

I read that…and it seemed, frankly…weird…and unappealing when I got to the end of the article.

I think Katz’s pastrami is as good as it gets. I once found the supplier in upstate NY…and bought some from them. It was as good. (“Kosher” doesn’t add anything for me, other than cost).

That guy who owned 2nd Ave…Abe L…died a long time ago.

Katz is lots of fun…good pastrami…and accompaniments…mmm…and good theater with all the cutting you can watch. Wish I could go there tomorrow.

Maybe the sushi sucks, but the pasta ramen is out of this world!

Ah. That sounds much more authentic. The real Deli experience. Only way it could be better is if everyone was speaking Yiddish…

I have never been blown away by Katz’s (and I lived 3 blocks from there for years so I’ve been plenty of times).

Sure the pastrami on rye is good. But when I hand over a $20 bill and its not enough to cover my one sandwich, it starts to taste not so good.

I think you go to Katz for the experience (like taking relatives to a NYC icon), but other than that the food is pretty meh.