Sauce recipe for fish tacos/shrimp tacos

I make a salsa with toasted pumpkin seeds, a lot of cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and Sriracha. Puree it all in the blender. You could add olive oil if you wanted but I make it without oil. I don’t really measure it, but if I had to guess, I’d say maybe 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, a large bunch of cilantro (stems and all), juice of 1-2 lemons, 1 medium clove of garlic, Sriracha to taste. If you want it more as a sauce, you could thin it some with water or oil. I like it somewhat thicker.

Rachel’s post got me thinking, there’s no reason to not pull from the bag of vegan tricks, even for fish tacos. Maybe try substituting a cashew cream for the dairy in any of the above recipes?

Non traditional but this was interesting.

Zhug

The one that I made used 2 parts Cilantro to 1 part Mint and had the addition of honey and EVOO. I’ll look for it and post later.

I can buy the quantity of zhug that recipe makes for $5 at a neighborhood Israeli restaurant, so I’m not motivated to make it. I am motivated to buy it - delicious stuff! Think of it as a fresh (vs. dried) version of harissa.

Are we still talking about fish tacos?! neener

I happened to have all the stuff I needed on hand.

Tacos, pitas, whatever.

Mr. Fleming, this was very tasty and I’ve used it on roasted eggplant, grilled salmon, falafel, grilled beef, etc… Don’t see why it wouldn’t work on fish tacos. It came from the current issue of Saveur.

2cp cilantro leaves
1cp mint leaves
1cp EVOO
¼cp honey
6 cloves garlic
1 serrano chile stemmed and seeded (I used 1 jalepeno and left the seeds)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
S&P to taste

Spin it all in a blender.
Done.

Yogurt can sub for sour cream but not the mayo.

I light brush my tortillas with oil then toss into a really hot iron skillet. Add a small sprinkle salt and a couple of flips. They are awesome. Everyone goes crazy for them.

Jason

I should say this will also prevent the tortilla from falling apart.

J

Just an update with a sauce suggestion for those who want something quick and easy. Trader Joe’s has a “reduced fat” Cilantro Dressing in the salad section that is pretty good. You can also add a bit of whatever hot sauce/salsa floats your boat. I also like TJ’s combo corn and wheat tortillas.

Bruce

Watch out!

Touché

This stuff is magic although we have toned it way down after the lead findings.

Not to sound ignorant, but what is “crema”?

Thanks Robert!

FIFY

Thank you for writing and sharing this link. We have been aware of the
study since last summer and have taken steps to ensure that our sauce DO
NOT contain high levels of lead as the study reported.

We responded immediately to alert our customers that we were investigating
and hired an independent lab to test all our sauces and manufacturing
facility. No measurable amounts of lead were detected in our sauces or
ingredients used to make our sauces.

The safety of our customers and employees is our number one concern and we
stand by the quality of our products.

I attached the information we published on our Facebook page and in press
releases, please let me know if you have any further questions or
concerns.