Rudy's Auction

He sure liked his Liberty Bay Cellars Merlot, it must be pretty good?

If anybody is serious about bidding on this auction AND realizes that this is in Texas and there will be a minimal mark up to pass it through the tiers PM me with the lot #s you are interested in and your limit on the lot#. Lots of fakes in this auction but if you actually want some of Rudy’s real stuff I can do that.

Nate-

Which lots are fake?

Josh

Again the thing I found most interesting were the multiple lots of old Comte Armand.

Josh, Notice how much of the Roumier has no bids including the 76? What few people are buying are staying FAR away from the “suspicious” lots.

My concern is in respect to the storage conditions over the past few years. All it takes is a couple of days (or less) of hot temperatures to spoil the juice

Are you saying that this lot has authenticity issues? What indicators of that are there beyond the source? The fact that many buyers are not bidding does not make something fake. This is a non-traditional venue with VERY tight payment terms, its obviously less user friendly than many traditional wine auctions.

I just looked at the action so far - seems in line or a bit higher activity with sales like Acker’s online sales, Morrell or Heritage. I only use these three as comparison because they all show the number of bids prior to closing.

That said - If you have any evidence that something is fake, you should definitely email Gaston & Sheehan…

Best,

Josh

The catalog alone is fascinating for the possible insight into Rudy’s blending methods. If I had to make a wild guess based on this list, I’d guess he was mixing old, weak Burgundy or Bordeaux with a dollop of young, really vigorous and black fruited Cali wines…a shot of Foley Petite Sirah with your 1960 Patriarche, sir?

Josh, did you look at the lot of 76 or are you just being combative? Thanks for your insight and comments.

It has a cut capsule - I think its safe to assume that the cork was inspected and verified. What other issues are there? I’m not being combative, I’m just curious as to what specific issues you see. The label and capsule are correct so there’s not much that one can see without physical inspection.

Almost all of the high-risk bottles here have cut capsules…I think that’s a good thing because who would even consider old rare wine from Rudy without that having been done!

Best,

Josh

Indeed. champagne.gif