Riesling - where do I start?

For someone just starting out I’d try and find 2012s (top vintage) or 2011s (early drinking vintage) in preference to 2013s.

Jay, I tried to put something together that is readily available from one source that would be a super easy start. Also, I am super excited about the 2013s I have coming!

Siun…starting off with Tantalus is a very good choice as they produce one of the best rieslings in BC, indeed Canada.

It was a chance discovery Bob - a waitress at the Whistler Fairmont suggested it as a good local option and I fell in love with it. I had been in Vancouver a few times a year for work so I would simply carry it back with me but sadly unavailable in Chicago and I haven’t had a trip back to BC is way too long.

Had a Leitz Dragonstone the other evening which I enjoyed and I’m going to start on the lists above and see what hits the spot.

Leitz Dragonstone is a very good wine, quite a few fans here.

Leitz Out is at Richmond Hill in Calgary, Bob. I’m a fan.

I’m a fan of this thread, good subject Scott. I started experimenting with various Riselings this year and am very anxious to dig in more. Like you, I prefer the dryer wines like the Donhoff Trocken but have a few others waiting to try out. I follow the riesling threads whenever I see them pop up.

why would you think an open screwcapped wine would last longer than an open cork-finished wine? Once open, the same amount of oxygen enters each.

There’s something about these 2012 Rieslings [from both Germany and Austria], under screwcap, which makes them taste more like soda pop than fermented grape juice.

And they’re getting out beyond Bartles & Jaymes even - the 2012 Donnhoff Estate QBA is so spritzy that it tastes like Mountain Dew with a jigger of Seagram’s 7 mixed in. At least when you first open it. After maybe a week it might start to resemble actual Donnhoff as you used to know it.

I almost feel like that if you were to store the screwcapped 2012s on their side, then after a few years they’d burn right through the plastic and then through the metal of the screwcap.

Like that goo which almost burned through the ship’s hull in the original “Alien” movie.

Alan - winemakers do change their protocols for screw caps particularly SO2 both the amount and when it is used.

Yet more baseless crap.

I have had some very good 13s. Start with Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett.

Just tried a Emrich Schonleber and really liked it 2012 recommended by an employee a moore brothers wine distributors in nj.