Recent New Orleans Eats

Had an enjoyable meal at the Sylvain bar a couple weeks ago. Really cool spot in the French Quarter. Cozy and full of character, with great cocktails and highly enjoyable food. Comfortable but reasonably refined.

Bumping this back up for any additional comments. Just found out that my brother and SIL will be joining us in town and my SIL has plans for decimating the oyster population in the gulf! [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

We also enjoyed our meal there last year during the French Quarter Fest.

Just returned last week. Arrived the day AFTER Mardi Gras. In order of preference:

1. Meril: I know. I was skeptical but after a lunch I made a res for dinner. Not very New Orleans but delicious. Great energy. Very noisy. Chef was in the house. Nice bourbon list.
  2. Compere Lapin: recommended by the Somm at Meril. Would go back in a heartbeat.
  3. Parkway Bakery: OMG! Get the Surf and Turf poboy.
  4. August: always predictably excellent. Corkage is now $30. I visited Marc Pelletier at Martin Wine for some white burg.
  5. Central Grocery: nothing like a muffuletta while sitting in Jackson Square Park.
  6. Pizza Domenica: good Neapolitan style.
  7. Cochon: worth checking out.
  8. Revolution: brunch. Mehā€¦donā€™t bother.

Went to Cafe Du Monde a couple of times. I remember a time there were no 1/2 block long lines. Still worth waiting for.

Stayed at the Windsor Court. Fantastic. Great music on the weekend. Fantastic bourbon list (even Pappy 23 and all the 2017 BTAC releases). Wonderful staff. Beautiful rooms.

Two more things:

The Pizza Domenica I went to was the one in Uptown.

People have recommended Willie Maes for fried chicken: when I was there 4 years ago it was the worst meal I ever had in NOLA: everything was bad.

I thought Morning Call was the place to go for beignets?

Iā€™ll be there solo on Thursday. What is the single canā€™t miss place I can get into short notice?

Chris- Iā€™ve never been to Morning Call. Too long a walk from the where I usually stay. Looks worth checking out if in the area.

Bill- Compere Lapin. The cold smoked tuna tartare was killer.

If only you werenā€™t a vegetarian and liked extended dry aged beef, I would suggest Doris Metropolitan. (itā€™s also a lot more than beef)

But, probably depends on whether prefer more classic leaning New Orleans cuisine or just high end food. I only get down there a couple times a year, so Iā€™ll let the bigger experts speak.

Weā€™ve had some outstanding meals at Peche also. Both lunch and dinner.

If you want something distinctly NOLA and are a solo diner, Iā€™d consider Compere Lapin, Cochon, Sylvain, or August ā€” or even Commanderā€™s palace.

But if I had one meal in NOLA, right now it would probably be Shaya, which obviously isnā€™t NOLA food.

Thanks, guys. I will look at all of these when I get back to the hotel tonight. My only concern is that I am staying in Baton Rouge and donā€™t want to be commuting back after having too much consumption.

Iā€™m not sure I wouldā€¦ Shaya was great. But months ago lost its namesake Alon Shaya in a bitter dispute, and he poached the person named executive chef, who was supposed to replace him, as well.

Alon Shaya is opening up a new place (may even have opened already) called Sabaā€™s.

I had no idea re Shaya. Disregard my advice until this is sorted out.

Still another questionā€¦has anyone been to Greg Sonnierā€™s recently reopened ā€œGabrielle?ā€ The man can cook!

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

I had dinner at Gabrielle about a month ago. The gumbo and duck were insanely good, and I canā€™t think of anything our group of 5 had that we didnā€™t completely polish off. On top of that, a nice little (and nicely priced) wine list.

Thanks! We still have a free night or two and I am seriously considering Gabrielle. As far as Shaya (according to Eater), his new restaurant will be on the site of Kentonā€™s which will close very soon.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Friends raving about Maypop lately. Dim Sum on Sat & Sun.

Had a wonderful meal at Gabrielleā€¦smoked quail gumbo, whole speckled trout baked in sea salt and a great pork chop among other dishes. Very friendly service, and a very nice wine list. Definitely would return next trip!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Highlights from 2 recent trips

Lunch at Maypop. Love this place. Cool weather has arrived so the black bean and crab gumbo should be on the menu. Fantastic
Gabrielle- love it, back to being the classic it was before Katrina.
Carrollton Market- worthy of being on the top 10 restaurant list. Nothing like seeing the owner chef either working the grill/saute station or doing expo over every dish leaving the kitchen. Terrific place.
Bywater Cafe- Nina Comptonā€™s new place. Excellent, casual with cool vibe. Go with a group and try a bunch of dishes
La Petit Grocery- very solid
Seaworthy- best Happy hour in town. Some of the best oysters in town and great cocktails. Make a reservation though. Small place and not easy to get a seat.

Commanders- was a little disappointed in our lunch. It was fine but no dish really stood out. They are a machine though on Friday lunch. The food and booze getting made is something to see.
Mr Bā€™s- solid brunch. Not the best in town but great to see one of our favorites still doing well.

Lastly, in the qtr and looking for a good local place for chargrilled Oysters and poā€™boys. Mr Edā€™s a Metairie staple has opened a location. Good solid local seafood.