Recent New Orleans Eats

He is indeed a great writer

Thanks Fred! Really appreciate the link to a few new places. Both Kentonā€™s and Seaworthy are now on our radar. We are really hoping to get back there again relatively soon. Hopefully, we can do another ā€œfamilyā€ escapade but Diana and I are retired while my girls, unfortunately, have jobs! Our last trip was wonderful but one of the few times we were on our own.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

I will be in New Orleans in early November for a conference and have opportunities for a dinner (or two) Saturday night and Sunday night. Give me three or four places that I should go. Havent even been to New Orleans before so the classics are fine too if they are worth a stop.

If you are looking for the quintessential New Orleansā€™ dining experience go to Galatoireā€™s. If you go, there are some things that you should know. No reservations are taken for the downstairs dining room and thatā€™s where you want to be. The upstairs room serves the same food but downstairs is where the celebration is. Go slowly, the servers expect it and will not rush you. Order a cocktail and an appetizer (hot: oysters en brochettes, cold: Crabmeat Maison) and take your time. After about an hour or so order your entree. The seafood is significantly better here than the meat dishes. Soft shell crabs should still be available and oysters are in the peak season. Dessert here is a bit of an afterthought but they do a decent Creme Caramel. A better choice at the end of the meal might be Cafe Brulot done tableside.

Galtoires is just not any good. It has to be the most over rated of all of the old New Orleans staples. My dad, however, loves it so im sure there is some sort of nostalgia factor that i do not understand.

Recent notes:
Went to Rā€™evolution last week for dinner and it was outstanding. Food and service were great. there is nothing crazy unique about it, but its just a restaurant that operate really well. Went to DTB on my way to the airport for Brunch on Friday morning and was impressed.

Iā€™m curious as to what you experienced, food or service, that was " just not any good" at Galatoireā€™s. Also, if you think that Galatoireā€™s is ā€œthe most overrated of all of the old New Orleansā€™ staplesā€ then you clearly havenā€™t been to Antoineā€™s or Broussardā€™s lately. The last time I went to Revolution (a year ago) I found it to be meh and significantly over-priced.

I agree. Every time Iā€™ve been to NO since 1980, Iā€™ve been to Galatoireā€™s for at least one meal. And, I think it has really improved food-wise in the last decade. Their pompano almandine; crabmeat Louis, oysters (or other dishes like fish, and I think potatoes) rockefellerā€¦and sides are all worth rememberingā€¦and I do. Not haute cuisine or little plate cusineā€¦or even really modern cuisine. But, it quite admirably illustrates why NO has such a great dining tradition in the first place. And, the place is always packed with locals who enjoy the relatively unadorned, but wonderful food. And, itā€™s lots of funā€¦thoughā€¦as Michael suggestsā€¦itā€™s good to slow the waiters down.

Iā€™d take Galatoireā€™s over several of the more hyped restaurants in NO anytime. I liked my meal there a whole lot better than the one we had at August in 2015ā€¦and remember more about it, too. (And, they were quite generous in allowing us to bring special bottles for a birthday celebration.)

1 Like

Thread drift, but not a good look for NOLAā€™s beloved, John Besh.

Doris Metropolitan - Has anyone had any success negotiating around their 2 bottle corkage limit? We have a table for 12 coming up and that seems ridiculous to limit us to the same as a table for 2. Maybe we could say we are 6 tables of 2 and want to be seated together?

I was considering calling ahead to request a flat or increased rate.

Top 10 by Brett Anderson. Happy reading. Some old favorites and a new place or 2.

Five outta ten, not bad for a left coaster.

Itā€™s been a long time since a John Besh restaurant hasnā€™t been included in a top 10 list.

uh, you know why, right?

Yes.

Just got back from the weekend in New Orleans. Hit a bunch of places but didnt have really deep meals at any place. Galatoires for lunch on Saturday was good (Turtle Soup and Duck Crepe which was excellent), Peche for early dinner Saturday - oysters and their crab cappelini which was very tasty, Cochon Butcher later Saturday night was a very good sandwich. Willa Jean for breakfast sunday was good. August for dinner Sunday - very cool place and the grouper was very good. Compere lapin for drinks and appetizers later was very good - conch croquettes. Shaya was probably my favorite meal for lunch Monday and like someone said at the beginning of this thread the pita bread was super good. I had the Lamb Kofte as well which was outstanding.

Dinner at Gautreauā€™s this weekend was great. One of my favorite restaurants in NO. No drop off in quality with new chef. Highly recommend this place

Seaworthy was good not great. Brennans same thing

Black Bean and Crab gumbo one of the best things I ate all last year. Noodles were also excellent. Lunch was spot on. Put it on the list.

Kentonā€™s- wasnā€™t wowed by the bourbon list but could be like Gramercy Tavern in New Orleans. Smart and perfectly done dishes with a focus on meat.

Going back in Marchā€¦ Cheers

Maypop is the real deal. And their dim sum brunch on Sundays is fantastic.

Time to bump this thread up again. Heading to New Orleans again in late March for our anniversary champagne.gif . Always looking for comments from our esteemed board! I am planning on bringing a few special bottles this year as last year was the first time that we did not bring any.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Marshall

Definitely on my list for our next trip. Happy hour oysters, then dinner, and then the 3 Keys for some music.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]