Ray Walker being interviewed on Grape Radio - Questions Needed!

How have you managed to scam and cheat people for this long?

Was there anything about your customers and supporters on WB that made them particularly susceptible to this practice?

Ray’s 2010 Gevrey 1er cru Les Corbeaux had a difficult time getting through malolactic ‘fermentation’ (aka ML). Ray didn’t want to inoculate it with purchased ML bacteria…so he stuck by his native fermentation guns and waited nearly two years for the ML to finish (without sulfur during that time, of course).

If Ray were faced with a similar situation (a lot that’s stubborn wrt ML that could take a similarly lengthy time and possibly not finish completely), would he do the same thing or take a different approach (e.g. innoculate with purchased bacteria, and/or add ML nutrients, and/or some other approach)?

2012 Maison Ilan

Post #349 Postby Randy Bowman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Many moons ago, when I supervised investigations, we investigated a possible Ponzi Scheme. We attended the fourth meeting for members and potential investors. After the presentation, (a clear cut pyramid scheme), we took over the podium, identified ourselves and even after showing the people in attendance the actual math, there were about 40 “investors” who became outright threatening when they realized they were going to lose their money. Everybody was provided with a number to call to declare their loss to recoup as much of their money as possible at the conclusion of the investigation. Those who were out the preliminary amount contacted us within a week. Only two of the early investors made contact. Whether it was embarrassment or fear they would also be prosecuted, most early investors either disappeared or filed complaints on us. The primary four we arrested that night plead guilty without a trial. Recovery was approximately 50%, primarily because they hadn’t had time to spend it all and owned homes that were seized and sold.

In other words, some people who put money into an “investment” that turns out to be a scam want the scam to continue in the futile hope it will go on long enough so they will get their money back.

This thread has already described a number of discrepancies including leaky corks and wrong cork for the label.

When you are corking by hand, you know what cork you are putting in the bottle. You would think that the appropriate label would be placed on a bottle with appropriate cork. That’s good business and even 12 year old can match label to cork.

Leaking corks. Not a new problem here. Calculate in your head how many bottles of other major burgundy producer’s wines you are hearing about having leaky corks. Hand corking? Bad corks? Bad timing on shipping? I know of a winery who got crap corks that leaked for two years in a row until they changed suppliers, so that does happen. Randy D’s cork problem is likely what happened during shipping between AIW and his house as ALL the bottles are leaking or had leaked.

I’ve only seen two bottles. One with a leaky cork that was undrinkable, bottle 0721, and bottle 0712 which had a good cork.

If attention to detail and “honest” notes are posted rumors can be dispelled or verified.

The above is a copy of Post No. 349 by Randy Bowman on 26 December 2015 on the thread : 2012 Ilan Maison.

Please ask questions regarding the account of this event :

…Many moons ago, when I supervised investigations, we investigated a possible Ponzi Scheme. We attended the fourth meeting for members and potential investors. After the presentation, (a clear cut pyramid scheme), we took over the podium, identified ourselves and even after showing the people in attendance the actual math, there were about 40 “investors” who became outright threatening when they realized they were going to lose their money. Everybody was provided with a number to call to declare their loss to recoup as much of their money as possible at the conclusion of the investigation. Those who were out the preliminary amount contacted us within a week. Only two of the early investors made contact…

Did he think David Z was being fair in his dumping of a board favorite?
:slight_smile:

What’s the value in asking a proven liar a bunch of questions? Entertainment?

Bill is not banned. He is temporary suspended…

Jay - Curious why you are interviewing Ray Walker, especially in light of the all that has transpired? One would hope that you could have a blunt interview and that meaningful answers would be provided by Ray.

I fear that it will end up being another “guy has a dream, goes off to tilt windmills and lives the life” PR piece with no meaningful counterweight about all the customer concerns and disappointments of the last few years, (regardless of your efforts to the contrary.)

While I know you and your teammates are all about promoting the love of wine, I believe you would not want to be party to a marketing piece when there is a ton of history that has yet to be addressed.

I’m a long time listener who continues to enjoy Grape Radio. Thank you. - John

Can someone give a brief synopsis of the “issue” with Ray Walker ? Or point to me to a thread that explains it? Did some searching but looking for a synopsis.

Start here

And then go back to the older thread on this.

I confess to not being a 60-minutes sort of guy and generally prefer educational Vs investigative discussions.
I have asked for input on questions (pointed) that people would like us to ask. I certainly will not ask blatantly biased questions “Have stopped running you scam”. I am looking for questions where the answers might have value to the listener. What are yours?

I was a willing fan of Ray and his story from the start. It all changed for me when the history of not delivering on car parts in the early 2000s came to light. The similarities of broken promises and his excuses about being young and well meaning, that ended it. Same story, different subject now with wine, people appearing cheated in his wake, and his apparent disdain for legitimate criticisms, I’d love you to ask him - this kind of thing looks like it’s happened before for you, what do you have to say about that? I’d be very interested in how he chooses to answer.

I guess the issue is if you don’t address the elephant in the room then you’re potentially an enabler.

I’m sure Ray isn’t showing up to “set the record straight”, it’s purely promotional for him. He’s trying to sell more wine and using grape radio to do it. That’s not disputable.

*…generally prefer educational Vs investigative discussions…

Understand your point perfectly Jay. Like making wine…balance ( and fairness ) is the key… [cheers.gif]

*…I am looking for questions where the answers might have value to the listener. …

How about…being truthful in answering your questions ? pileon

Please ask for details on how one runs a Ponzi scheme. I would love to drive a Porche and live in
France using ‘investments’ of other people’s money.

Next up, John Fox?

Certainly he can attempt it, hopefully we can do something about it. FWIW, quite a few shows never get posted due to it being too promotional.

How about I get the ball started? Topics to discuss in no particular order:

How does he explain not only the individual problems but the sheer volume of them:
Slow communications with customers.
Labels inconsistent with corks (how does customer reconcile)
Delayed shipping (in some cases over 1 year)
Shipping prices substantially higher than commercial averages
What caused the increased price on your end to almost double when you had a larger quantity discount with Adventures in Wine?
Current status with Wilson Daniels
Current policies put into place to deliver a higher quality of service.
Policy of dealing with dissatisfied customers
Describe the key stages/mechanics in getting wine to the customer
Current status with Wilson Daniels
Financial status of the business
Status of contract with “his” vineyards (vineyard name, contract length, etc)
His degree of involvement in the wine making of each wine.
Who in Burgundy is his closest adviser.
Can he explain what caused the charred oak on the 2009 vintage even though the wines had no new oak presence? What has he learned since his first vintage till now that moved him away from the style? (C fu)

I got more but got to get back to work

Can he explain what caused the charred oak on the 2009 vintage even though the wines had no new oak presence? What has he learned since his first vintage till now that moved him away from the style?

Typically if an individual contacts an importer (such as Adventures in Wine) they can have their wines shipped to their door for roughly $17-18 a bottle from France to the US. What caused the increased price on your end to almost double when you had a larger quantity discount with Adventures in Wine?

Beside asking him about the financial status of the business …please add the following question, if you please flirtysmile :

Is it true that few moons ago ( from December 2015 ) there was a re-structure of the original company in that some ( of the 40 original investors ) went out ? Could you provide us details ?

I have confidence that Mr. Randy Bowman posted the correct information but just would like to hear it from Ray. I would like to also ask him if he could confirm if some of the posters here in this Board are his original 40 investors or not - but that of course, a wishful thinking !

Assuming he’s not a no-show.