Portland, Maine Offline (9/27 & 28)

Ok, here are our selections. Will probably bring another red as well, will let you know.

'07 JJ Prum Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Auslese
'09 Leonetti Merlot
'10 Etienne Sauzet Puligny Montrachet Les Folatieres

Kirk, let me know which night you think these would work best.

I realize now. [wow.gif] blush [whistle.gif]

Sounds awesome!
Despite being near Portland a lot (like now) I’ll be at a (wine related) Birthday Party.

Expect a full report.
Kirk, lets get together and drink some wine soon

Would love to…you coming up to Bangor anytime soon?

I was in Bangor this weekend for the first time in forever, but only long enough to hop a floatplane to Bradford Camps http://www.bradfordcamps.com/

Crazy fall or you’d be getting an invite to Scarborough (and you still may!)

Can I get a final count for Saturday lunch. I know Doug & Becky will not make it…but I want to be sure my res of 9 is right.

Thanks, Kirk

Ron and Katie will be there. When things are set, could you please post the revised schedule of activities for the weekend?

Thanks,
Ron

The schedule is updated…I made a reservation for 9 at Schulte & Herr…the Lobbster shack doesn’t do reservations…but they said it shouldn’t be a problem. We have a reservation for 11 people at the Well. All are BYO and charge no corkage fee…

My wife and I with out of town friend in tow will be there Saturday lunch and dinner

I’ll be there. Been out-of-the-loop whilst attending to family matters in Michigan (mom in hospice). Flying out there again this a.m., returning on Wed. in time to figure out interesting wines to bring.

Where is everone staying?

Still me plus one. Carrie, staying at the Portland Harbor Hotel.

That’s two for both Saturday and Sunday, Kirk.

Katie and I are staying in Saco. We’ll be with everyone for lunch and dinner Saturday and brunch on Sunday.

Brunch is going to be catch as catch can. If folks want to plan to meet at a certain time that’s cool…but they don’t take reservations and larger parties can be a pain at Bintliff’s. Sunday is for Recovery until dinner…it’ll give folks to check out the key wine/beer stores in the Portland area if we can’t make them happen on Saturday. Based on Selection (not price) they are:

Brown Trading Co
Old Port Wine Merchants
RSVP
Beir Cellar (mostly for beer…not wine)
and Rosemont Market(s) (beware of warm temps in the store…I wouldn’t buy “gems” here)

I’ve been reading about all of the restaurants we’re going to online and wow! Thank you Kirk for putting this together. This weekend promises to be quite fun and tasty.

So, here’s what I’ll be bringing:

Lunch at Schulte & Herr: 2001 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese. Should be fun to try with Eileen’s Prum. I may also bring a Prum as well, since one cannot ever have enough Prum at the table.

Dinner at the Farm: 1975 BV Georges. Notes on CT make it look MAYBE promising; WS not so much. It may be a dog, so I’ll also bring a 2004 Altesino Brunello Montosoli.

I think that these two meet Kirk’s “special” criteria: BV is special to me, at least, bc it was one of the first vineyards I visited back in the early 1980s when I first got into wine. Had a lot of BV in the cellar and drank it all way too early. I found this bottle a couple of years ago stuck in the corner of a local wine shop in Leominster along with a few other old Cali Cabs. The owner sold all 4 or 5 bottles to me (plus an older port) for a grand total of $25.00, with no guarantee. They’ve all been quite good, so I have hopes for that the 73 was stored ok as well.

Altesino Montosoli was the wine that opened my eyes to Italian wines sometime in the early 1990s. For a long time, it was my “holy grail” wine – had a lot of it in the cellar from that period of time and the late 1980s, all of which are now gone. I bought 3 of the 2004s at Marty’s a couple of years ago in a fit of nostalgia, so this wine should be in good form. I’ve been waiting for a good occasion to pop one of the bottles, so I’m eager to taste it with you all.

Brunch: are we supposed to bring anything? can’t tell if this place is BYO.

Sunday at the Lobster Shack: I haven’t yet settled on a wine, but most likely it will be a Domaine Weinbach, probably this one: 1996 Tokay Pinot Gris Alsace Sélection des Grains Nobles. Or maybe this one: 2005 Riesling Alsace Grand Cru Schlossberg Cuvée Ste.-Catherine. Any thoughts? I had really wanted to bring a Tokaji Aszu from Hungary for the simple fact that my dog (a Kuvasz – a Hungarian breed) will be with me and sitting with us for this meal since it’s outdoors. But, from what I can tell via some online research, sweet Hungarian wines are generally not recommended to go with lobster. :frowning:

Carrie

P.S. Is someone bringing a Durand? Can’t remember who brought one to the Royal East a couple of months ago (Kirk?), but it probably would be good to use on the BV.

Also, Kirk, we should bring wine glasses, correct?

edited bc BV is a 75, not a 73 . . .

Lots of activity here since I last checked in!

The brunch place does not allow BYO.

Becky and I are staying at the Courtyard Portland/Downtown.

Carrie, I think Hungarian Tokaji would be good with lobster, but I certainly wouldn’t complain about either of those Weinbachs! I’ll bring my Durand.

Here’s what I know we’re bringing:

The Well:
1999 Chateau Musar Rouge
2007 Belle Pente Reserve Pinot Noir
2012 Hirtzberger Riesling Singerriedel

Lobster:
NV Egly-Ouriet Vignes de Vrigny
2006 Pierre Peters Cuvee Les Chetillons

I’ll Chime in too…

1. yes to the Tokaji I think that’s an awesome idea. (I wouldn’t complain about the Weinbach either)
  2. Brunch is not BYO…but I understand the bloody mary’s are awesome!!! (I’m not a fan of “conventional” spirits)

EVERYONE SHOULD BRING THEIR OWN GLASSES. None of these places have good stems.

My wine list as of right now:
lunch @ Schulte & Herr:
2006 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Tradition (1.5L) - It will likely be brought to the Well also.
The Well:
2012 Patricia Green Etzel Block - My first “real” love in Oregon Pinot Noir
2001 Bartlett Pear Winemaker’s Reserve
2005 Bartlett Pear Winemaker’s Reserve

The Lobster Shack:
2007 Weingut Keller “Abtse®.de” Riesling Großes Gewächs

Went to pull the BV out of the cellar. I need new glasses. Or maybe I shouldn’t be poking around in dark spaces in the middle of the night. The BV Cab I’m bringing is a 1975, not the 1973. We shall see! CT reviews a little less kind than for the 1973; WS still says it’s a dog. Fill on this bottle looks real good

Thanks, Doug, for bringing the Durand.

Also decided to go with the 2005 Weinbach. We’ll save the Tokaji (6 puttonoyas!) for another time – I have two bottles – one from sometime in the 1990s and one from the early 200s (not going to trust my memory or my eyesight). Both bottles are direct from Hungary and the gift of my traveling daughter. But, I’ll still bring my dog to the Lobster Shack. :slight_smile:

See you all tomorrow. The weather looks to be absolutely spectacular for the weekend.

See you all tonight. Remember, The Well is cash only.