Portland, Maine Offline (9/27 & 28)

Fine with me too

I’ll call to switch reservations this weekend.

Saturday is now The Well @ Jordan Farm. Sunday evening will be the Lobster Shack. Both reservations are for 5pm. This is to make it easy for those that are driving home (1-2 hours) that night…

Sounds good to me. That will give us plenty of time at Novare Res afterward!

So, I love the wine themes for both evenenings, and some of the wines I think other people should know also work for lobster, so I’m not completely sure yet.

We’ll definitely bring an Egly-Ouriet Vignes de Vrigny for one of the dinners. I hope that’s okay, Kirk, as I have easier access to plenty of it. Hopefully you’d rather see yours age while I keep buying and opening them. I’m considering a Donnhoff Hermannshohle GG also, which could be for either dinner.

I might bring a '99 Musar for Sunday. I’m definitely bringing a 2007 Belle Pente Reserve PN for Sunday.

So, several considerations without a lot of decisions yet. If other people have ideas or preferences, please chime in. Maybe we can get some small themes together, or at least make sure we have a good ratio of whites/sparklings/rose to red for Saturday night. I tend to always be the guy with white and bubbly at these things, so I’m even surprised that I’m considering two reds. I have a few other ideas…

I like the idea of doing some Musar reds at the Well. Champagne & lobster is a no-brainer…I love the Egly. However, I’m open to anything that works for others. There is a vertical of Musar reds at Browne Trading Co. in the mid-late 90’s

I could also bring a 2004 Musar Rouge. It was drinking well when I opened one about a year ago. Or I could get my hands on a 2005, but I remember thinking that '04 is the better vintage.

Kirk, any idea of what the menu will be on Saturday? I know fish/lobster on Sunday, but trying to pick out something for Saturday as well.

[cry.gif] Have fun folks as I’ll be there in spirt.

He usually has four pre-fix choices. (Folks…this is a cash only place)
Meat
Sea food
Foul
& veggie

I will likely get the meat or fish…unless his foul is duck (Yum).

Looking over your CT I’d say any of the White Burgs you have, the '07 JJ Prum Auslese, Coudoulet de Beaucastel, Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc, really anything. Pick your food to go with what you bring…I’ve never had Leonetti Merlot so that certainly stands out as one I’d love to try. Really I think you’ll be safe with just about anything. My thoughts are to have a good blend of wines for each place…and sparkling wines are always a success. :slight_smile:

Kirk

Great, thanks, Kirk, that helps. I wasn’t sure if it was a limited menu, which would limit the wine choices. Will definitely pick what I want to drink and then the food to go with.

Kirk, would it be possible to add 1 more to Saturday at The Well? My wife belatedly informed me that we have an out-of-town guest coming in from San Francisco. She would be a good addition; she’s relatively wine-savvy and into learning about wine. She’s also lots of fun.

I’ll call and see if they can add one for us.

We’ve picked some of the wines that we’ll be bringing for the weekend. We’re still not sure how to divide them up among the various meals, but would be happy to have some input from the group to help make those decisions.

2011 Alzinger Loibenberg Riesling Smaragd
Brundlmayer Brut Rose NV
2012 Bret Brothers La Soufrandière Pouilly-Vinzelles Climat Les Quarts

Those sound great…I’d say the first one at Brunch Saturday and the last two at the Well. Just my $0.02

Folks…please start listing your wines you plan to bring so others can choose accordingly. Doug & I are going to do our best to creat a balance of what’s present and what might be exciting. However, it will help to know what people are planning to bring.

Thanks, Kirk

Ps I’ll probably bring a magnum (or two)

So?
What transpired?

Ron, you know this is still three weeks away. Right?

It sounds like we will have plenty of bubbles and whites, which was where I was previously tending. At this point, I’m thinking the following (assuming our wine arrives this week from California like it’s supposed to):

1. 2007 Qupé Roussanne Hillside Estate Bien Nacido Vineyard or 2012 Dauvissat Chablis 1er Cru La Forest
  2. 2010 Rhys Pinot Noir San Mateo County
  3. some sort of Nebbiolo (maybe 2004 Paolo Scavino Barolo Cannubi) or 2003 Calabretta Etna Rosso

Let me know if you think it might work to fit in a Madeira somewhere

Also, I’d be happy to bring a riesling or gv for brunch on Saturday (or more likely would see if it’s possible to find a good blaufrankisch here in Maine), but if there is already going to be plenty of that, what do you think about including some beer to go with the teutonic fare? Or would that be verboten?