Poll: Your go-to glass for Napa cabs?

Solo red cup.

Another Riedel vinum user here. I bought a bunch of them years ago, and haven’t seen a reason to switch. We use them for a large variety of wines, including Napa cabs. Full disclosure, though: we only drink CA cabernet with quite a bit of age.

I’m not really a fan of Zaltos.

Riedel Restaurant Series Syrah.

Riedel Vinum here too, though I think ours are Vinum Extreme. They were the first “nice” wine glasses I bought, and I’ve found no compelling reason to switch. They’ve been serving me well for over 10 years now. When/if I need to replace them, I’ll consider other options.

Riedel Vinum Extreme for most; Vinum XL for Myriad/Quivet single vineyard.

Crate and Barrel knock-offs.

Everyday glasses are Schott Zwiesel Tritan and Riedel Vinum. I use Riedel Vinum for the other varieties. On special occasions the Riedel Sommelier glasses come out. Blind tasting, Riedel black.

Libby.

Acquired several dozen of them (two or three different styles) for $0 about 25 years ago. (A local restaurant decided they were no longer good enough.) Dishwasher friendly. Sturdy. They seem to work great with not only Cabernet Sauvignon but, also, Zinfandel, Sancerre, Douro, Rioja, Mosel, Chenin Blanc, Lagrein and many others.

They do suck for Retsina, though. Oh, my bad. All glasses suck for Retsina.

A couple months ago I bought some Schott-Zwiesel Studio Selection All Purpose Wine Glasses at Costco–$15.97 for a box of eight. Also, dishwasher friendly. They are good glasses, but I found, though, that when I used them, I drank wine much faster. So, I’ve gone back to the Libbeys for most of my drinking.

Full disclosure, though: we only drink wines that are poured from a bottle. No boxed wine. No canned wine.

Schott Zwiesel Pure Bordeaux

Just switched from the Pure Cabernet as we received a set for our wedding. Love the look and the Bordeaux glass has a taller bowl so it seems like there are more concentrated aromas coming from the glass.

GGG
also have the Schott-Zwiesel and the Riedel (also the extreme) but right now I am really preferring the GG

Schott Zwiesel Studio Collection - box of 8 for about $24 at Costco. A big bargain! A bit clunky but they are sturdy and just the right shape. They don’t have any more at Costco or I would have bought 10 boxes. They are not Zalto Universals, but I do not have to be nervous every time I use them.

Sarah,

What else do you use them for? Whenever I drink a red other than a burg or bordeaux/cab, I am not sure whether to use by Burgundy or Bordeaux glass.

I have the same Reidel Vinum BDXs I bought 15yrs ago and they work great. I also have some all purpose red Shotts Zweisel that I love and will replace my Reidels with their BDX version if I ever break them.

I have a few Schott Zweisel Burgundy glasses that I bought to supplement my Reidels. They are sturdier and cheaper (paid $10 a glass) and we can put them in the dishwasher. So, we use them a good bit.

Hah! If I’ve learned anything from this board it’s that nirvana is just one more mailing list away.

Thanks everyone for the responses and input so far. There are quite a few write-ins for Riedel Vinum, but I am personally looking for lead-free, so that didn’t fit my criteria. While Zalto Universal presently leads the votes, I decided to go for the Gabriel Glas Gold.

In my non-scientific survey of the wisdom of the internet, both earned many raves on their own, while in head to head comparisons the GGG seemed to have an edge in the total experience. I’m sure I’ll eventually get curious enough to try to Zaltos at some point.

Zalto Bordeaux

Great info in this thread. [thankyou.gif]

Just ordered a set of 8 Riedel Vinum Cabernet / Bordeaux 21.5 ounce glasses to augment the 12 Spiegelau 28.5 ounce Hybrid Burgundy glasses already in use.

EDIT: It will be interesting to try the same wines side by side in each glass. [cheers.gif]

I prefer to use my Zalto Universal glasses for tasting great cabs, although for some I actually use my Riedel Vinum glasses. The Riedels fit in the dishwasher and my Zaltos are just a tad too tall.

I prefer the Reidel Vinum PN-Burg Glass for all my red wines.
image.jpeg