Piemonte questions

Hi Alan
More’s the question, of an evening do you want to stroll or drive to a restaurant? The former narrows the options down a little, but not excessively. Do you also want somewhere where a pre/post meal stroll is an option?

Do you want hotel / b&b or an apartment? I can suggest some of the latter, but haven’t stayed in a hotel in the Langhe (not my preferred accomodation).

As wine isn’t the focus, I’m going to reiterate the wonderful walking to be had, right through the middle of the vineyards, but also some that take in woodland as well. Fitting a walk in should help give some diversity, but it’s just really enjoyable.

regards
Ian

Hi Ian,
Well, since it will end of October when we’re there, weather will dictate how much walking we can do. Ideally, it will be some. Walking home through a town in the dark after dinner is fine, but probably not on a country trail. B&B is preferable, or small hotel. There are a number of other Piemonte threads here over the past few years, I’ve gleaned some more info from those (including numerous useful posts from you). In the end, I’ll just pull the trigger somewhere.

Hi Alan
Lunchtime is often a good time for a walk (pre or post lunch). Weather is often good, but you never can be sure.

Yes it sounds like in one of the villages suits, as outside of the villages it’s either unlit vineyards to walk through, or on the side of the road (no pavement/sidewalk). Personally I liked Monforte for a nice place to base. We were about 10-15 mins walk away, but there are good places in the centre & I believe Le Case della Saracca have accomodation (they are a good destination for aperitivi snacks).

regards
Ian

Rich,

What did you think of Castello di Sinio? We’ll be staying there in July. Did you eat at their restaurant?

Not Rich, though I’m interested in his answer. Sinio was recommended to me by a local wine merchant, whose wife is lifelong friends with the owner. They’ve been there, and I trust his judgment. I considered it, but their cancellation policy (90 days for when we are going) was just too far out for us.

Absolutely first rate all around. We loved it there. Denise and company run a top notch operation. Her restaurant at the hotel is also excellent. Service was a little slow but I imagine there would be more staff working during high season. We were there over Easter weekend. We weren’t in a rush anyway so it wasn’t a concern but that could be the only thing negative even worth mentioning.

Food exceeded my expectations. Wine list was solid but doesn’t contain the hidden gems you will find at many other restaurants in Piemonte.