Pick 2 Paso Royalty wines

Talley will have me as a member, once my discretionary income increases to the point where I can justify a second one (only Ridge ATP at the moment). Drop dead gorgeous pinot noir and chardonnay, but I find everything in their lineup to be solid.

Talley is very good. They are in Arroyo Grande (just south of Edna Valley, though it would be reasonable to consider it essentially the same wine region as Edna Valley).

Good point Chris. Climate here is partially a struggle between the very hot sun and the very cold Pacific, and temperature varies dramatically depending on how direct is your line of sight to the coast. We’re less than 40 miles from the sea here in Livermore, but there are two mountain ranges between here and there, resulting in summer temperature differentials of 40ºF or more.

Interesting, and despite Edna being significantly cooler, Alban arguably makes the ripest, most intense Syrahs of the bunch.

Larry they make most of their wine in a Napa I believe.

Different AV. Like saying Sonoma is Napa. Kinda.

Except their Paso wines as far as I know. It’s worth buying those alone from Turley.

Why no Tablas listed?

If this is referring back to Alan’s last thread, asking who ‘next Saxum’ is, Tablas probably doesn’t fit the flavor profile he is looking for. And Alan, please correct me if I am incorrect.

I would throw in Terry Hoage and Villa Creek into the mix. There is no doubt that Terry and Jennifer have a special vineyard - others in the area are making vineyard designates from there - and they are simply unbelievably nice folks.

As for Villa Creek, I think Cris is making some of the best wines of his career now. He seems to have purposefully dialed back a bit (my first Garnacha of his was well over 17%) and I dig his mourvedre and mourvedre based wines. They are getting up in price a bit, but again, I dig the direction he’s taking.

I would probably choose Tablas as well, as I find their wines so darn elegant and age-worthy. Not ‘flashy’ like many of the others are - just nicely stuctured, age worthy wines that reward those with patience . . .

Cheers!

Alban is not in Edna Valley, but rather is in Arroyo Grande.

As for Paso, Saxum and a big tie for second; Epoch, Booker, Villa Creek, Linne Calodo, Torrin, Denner, Clos Solene, and probably a few others.

Larry

Im only listing wines im familiar with, im on all these lists and looking to scale back. Must admit that ive not bought Alban yet though

For what its worth I think Denner and Saxum are the two that will stick

Drop Denner and get on Tablas’s club. Just my opinion. YMMV.

L’Aventure & Saxum. [highfive.gif]

Booker and I’ll add one not mentioned yet Daou.

No knock on Daou, but don’t they need to establish a little bit of a track record before they can be in the “royalty” conversation? I realize their pockets are deep and their facility is beautiful, but on a trip their last summer they weren’t even using estate fruit yet. The views from the patio are sensational, but I’m not ready to say the same thing about the wines yet.

Agree - mentioned them mainly as one to watch for the future as I really like what they are producing and the direction they are taking. My POV - it doesn’t take estate fruit to make great wines it takes a great vineyard and not all estate vineyards are great. If you have good growers you can work with them to farm your block to your specifications.

Just bought a couple of Syrah’s from Nicora! I would also add Epoch to my wine club list. They’re doing wonderful CdP’s style wines! I quit being a club member at Denner this year.

I’ve been a member for several years. They’re like family… great group of people and their wines are consistently good.

Anything from James Berry Vineyard.

Actually, although Turley Wine Co. buys some grapes from Napa, I believe their two winemaking facilities are in Paso Robles (main) and Amador. You may be confusing Larry Turley’s company with Helen Turley.