Parker signed wines????

Jeez! I’m guessing the PR firm at WA is not terribly pleased at that statement getting out…

This from Parker on Ebob.

I am not actually “signing” anything…the usage extends to the autograph signature that is part of the logo all of you see on this site so frequently…moreover we have no commercial relationship or financial incentive in this…seems little different than the wine trade now using my scores to promote the sale of a wine…do agree that I can only hit this BB for several hours max a day …at least for the next several weeks given my “sky-high” foggy drug-induced state-of-mind…sadly, many bloggers show no concern for getting the facts straight or the truth out…especially if they can distort someting to drive a few more readers to their sites…as for charity, the new investors are already very motivated to increase our efforts…personally…I am in the “over 25 million” club of raising money for charities I feel especially fond of"…a few examples:
military family aid and wounded veterans
pediatric cancers
hospice facilities for the poor,homeless, and terminally ill
my schools-especially University of Maryland
National Jewish Hospital
Dana Farber,Sloan-Kettering,and similar entities at Johns Hopkins and Univ of Maryland
Will continue to aggressively support these and other causes, and very proud of the efforts I have made…something you will never read about from bloggers…

Steve,

Is that really a post from RP, or another Parker satire? At this point it’s become hard to tell one from the other. (If it’s the former, then just - sheesh.)

It’s real, he posted it on the same thread as this. A couple brave souls were questioning his integrity.

Ah, those nasty, nasty “bloggers.” newhere

So I guess what he’s saying is that he won’t actually be signing or autographing anything. Instead, this 100/100 offering will be using the WA logo on the box and/or marketing materials. And according to this statement, RP and the WA don’t get paid for use of the logo.

Which then raises the question–if WA isn’t getting anything in return for use of their logo, what’s their incentive to agree to it? Is it just mutual marketing?

Bruce

I’m seeing a conflict of interest here.
This appears to be a new way to market the Wine Advocate, which correct me if I’m wrong…a violation of their own rules???

This is just inane. He is not a celebrity.

I thought this was an interesting response on Ebob.

Mr. Parker, as a lawyer, you must know that your physical signature or its absence is not the relevant issue here. The “autograph signature that is part of the logo” is protected intellectual property whose use you control, and whose use in this specific context you clearly authorized. That is a great deal different from retail merchants posting excerpts from your reviews, without your involvement or consent (presumably they would claim fair use under applicable copyright laws, whereas there would be no such defense available to the use in this case without your consent).

If this was not a commercial arrangement, what was it? If it was a charitable endeavour, that is understandable and even laudable, but you should make that clear. (Your other charitable endeavours are laudable but not germane.) Anything else even more firmly demands an explanation.

I’m not sure what to make of Parker’s “answer” on the issue, mostly because he seems to be using a language that is only somewhat similar to English. Maybe it is the morphine. He says it wasn’t a commercial transaction, and he lists all of the charitable work he does (which I do think is admirable and quite substantial) but the post never claims that this was a charitable effort (and surely he would) and he never really says anything about what the deal was about.

It is sad to see what has become of that franchise. It is taking on water at an alarming rate, all through self-inflicted damage.

Oeps, kicked of R.P. forum by M.Sq.?
We can shake hands [cheers.gif]
I wonder how many more??
Perhaps we can start a society [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Doesn’t really make a difference to me whether it’s a handwritten signature or a facsimile. I still find it incredibly tacky to put your name on something you didn’t make.

Handshake!

Lots, and it’s been done–wineberserkers. (I exaggerate but not much).

Actually I wasn’t bold enough to be kicked off, just chased off.

Is he on chemo? Makes one wonder–note he mentions giving to cancer charities.

I’m not following the relevance of the charities mention…

If (and to be clear this is pure speculation) he has cancer and is on chemo, he might well feel like giving to cancer charities.

Is he on chemo? Makes one wonder–note he mentions giving to cancer charities.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Back surgery.

Ah. BTW weren’t you banned from over there?

Is he on chemo? Makes one wonder–note he mentions giving to cancer charities.[/quote][/quote]
He just had major back surgery

Suckling has to be pissed.

A case like this with “I’m 100 points on that” + signature would be both tongue and cheek probably awesome for his brand / site.