Paris -- 2017 recommendations!

Good! It’ll be nice to read something positive after this.

Some of these English newspaper reviews try a bit too hard to be outrageous, and in my mind it affects their credibility.

Really?

My companion winces. “It’s like eating a condom that’s been left lying about in a dusty greengrocer’s,” she says.

My lips purse, like a cat’s arse that’s brushed against nettles.

It is mostly black, like nightmares, and sticky, like the floor at a teenager’s party.

A main of pigeon is requested medium, but served so pink it just might fly again given a few volts.

if you overlook the elastic flap of milk skin draped over it, like something that’s fallen off a burns victim.

Also, going once how could he know that “The restaurant is never more than half full.”?

Also, BTW - his new book is out and can be ordered via a link on the bottom of the article…

Seems like a very bitter and revengeful review to me…

pacchio in the 9th is terrific. cooking reminds me of clown bar but with more purity and finesse to the flavors. wine list is mostly natural producers but is very well curated with some back vintages as well. most of the plates are around 10€ and the wine list has modest markup. the only downside is the location is not the most convienant but it is not really a trek either.

The review is absolutely completely unreliable. Like others have said it seem vengeful or written by someone who has never set foot in a Paris 3*** (they are not for everybody)

Garbage. He should have put it on Yelp.

George

Well, what if that was his actual experience? I really don’t have any knowledge of his writing or credentials, and would never drop the coin needed for Georges Cinq. But the photo of the one dish shows something not particularly well composed. I doubt I would accept that at an upper-range bistro, let alone from one of the temples of haute cuisine.

There is no doubt he could have had a bad experience. It happens. I have had them at Michelin 3*** restaurants. However, he is supposedly a restaurant reviewer and when he does nothing but slam the restaurant from word one… starting with the decor. I think he has an axe to grind. While his descriptions are clever and creative the overall review, I feel is BS.

the dining room, deep in the hotel, is a broad space of high ceilings and coving, with thick carpets to muffle the screams. It is decorated in various shades of taupe, biscuit and f*ck you"

The picture of the dish is certainly different. However per my comments above I believe he purposefully tried to make everything as bad as possible.

George

literally the most absurd review of anything i’ve ever read. i will write out my thoughts. literally that review means i will never read the guardian for any restaurant reviews, including English ones.

Schtick like this is fun to read. It is basically what Bourdain does. However as a real restaurant review it is worthless.

George

John,

Did you end up doing either of the Paris by Mouth or Wendy Lyn tours, and if so, what did you think of it?

Thanks
Paul