Paris -- 2017 recommendations!

You should check out Spring. Great Somm. Chicago native owns it.

Sat next to Joel Quenneville and family when we were there. I told him I was displeased that I lost a 100 point wine to you in a bet over the Flyers Black Hawks SC series. Had a lot of fun, great guy.

I have Paris By Mouth, “Taste of Marais” booked and there is a 25% cancellation fee (roughly 80 Euros total for 3 people). Worth it to switch to Wendy?

I’ve met Wendy a number of times at L’Avant Comptoir over the years. I’m there frequently when in Paris and she seems to be there as often with her tour groups (2-4 people). From what I’ve overheard as she’s talked with her groups, she is very knowledgeable about Paris food and wine.

The very best meal we had last September was at Taillevent with heavenly 2004 Raveneau Clos and '98 Haut Brion by the glass. For the grand Parisian experience check out Le Maurice. Coche Meursault Genevieres there was probably the wine of the trip. Can’t recommend David Toutain. After a surprisingly just ok meal there we revisited a second time for lunch. As soon as we were seated the chef was screaming at the top of his lungs at a co-worker and throwing pans in the kitchen. This went on through the entire meal and disturbed a stunned house. Never experienced anything like that before and looking back we should have walked. We had several fantastic meals at Comptoir du Relais that were relatively inexpensive and superb. Juveniles was also fantastic.

Can vouch for Semilla and Frenchie’s for high-end wine bar/bistro level. For whatever reason, Spring wasn’t as memorable. I also really liked Le Chateaubriand, but that seems to be more volatile.

For wine bars, always love Willi’s for the Chablis and N. Rhode options, though the food is meh.

We’re spending a day there on the back end of a long weekend in champagne, and debating between Taillevent (went in 2013 and loved it, possibly the best service I’ve ever had at a restaurant, though that’s a personal/formality level preference, and great wine list) and Guy Savoy (never been) for lunch.

Highly recommend Guy Savoy. Did it for lunch also. Quite amazing.

George

How’s the pricing on Guy Savoy’s wine list? I remember Taillevent’s having some good deals on champagne and burgundy.

Not too bad for a 3*** Ordered an older mid 2000 Red Burg NSG 1er IIRC and a more recent white. 4 people off the a la carte menu was 1200 Euro all in.

George

wait, what? how much was that?

we’ve booked Le Cinq and Taillevent for dinner, and the special 110EUR menu at Guy Savoy for a lunch.

also if anyone has any thoughts on TIPPING protocol at restaurants at this price level, pls advise

Service will be included.

Taillevent was a real letdown for me in terms of food in Nov 2015 Pretty boring, except for the cheese plate and wine list.

Headed to David Toutaine on Tuesday - any thoughts/recs (i.e. “ask about X”)

Just ate there on Monday, Andrew,

Menu is fixed and was superb. Somm, youngish guy (this was at lunch) had some wines by the glass and bottles up his sleeve not on the list. In my case, after some Lamandier-Bernier Rose, he produced a 2006 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny village, that was drinking beautifully–a real treat. The food and wine together was one of the best meals I’ve had in a long, long time.

Just back from an amazing long weekend in Paris, and as discussed above we went to back to L’ami Jean and Semilla and went to Spring for the first time. All excellent. The wife wasn’t a fan of the rabbit at Spring, not for any taste reasons, but because rabbit. She tried it but couldn’t get past her childhood pet. Fair enough, I clobbered hers and mine. :slight_smile:. Otherwise, a delicious and satisfying meal.

We also went to lunch at Divellec, right by Invalides. It was tremendous. The room is gorgeous, service was spot on and the food was delicious. Sadly we didn’t get to Ze Kitchen Galerie because I didn’t feel well that afternoon so we bagged it. Maybe next time.

Was definitely a good time. Tasting menu was 110, wine pairing brought it to 210 (budget tasting was 180). 30 euro supplement for fresh Perigord black truffles. The cauliflower, white chocolate and citrus dish was probably the best/most surprising, as it smelled awful but tasted amazing. The duck? Best I’ve ever had… was like eating filet mignon. Grilled asparagus was spectacular. Funny thing was that the servers kept walking around, showing off the ducks before they carved into them. Wine pairing was great, with quite a few bottles I would have never considered (Pyrenees, etc.) and an Apple Cider that tasted more like an ice wine.

Would echo the same point somebody else made above - we could see him yelling at people, slamming pots down and moving people out of the way. I wouldn’t say he was Hell’s Kitchen over-the-top, but he’s definitely not a shy, reserved type.

For a Michelin 3*** experience highly recommend Le Pre Catelan. Great room, service, wine list and food. A good ways from tourist central but worth it. Did the 130 euro lunch. Dinner menus significantly more expensive. The drive to the restaurant passes some very “interesting scenery”

George

Really liked the first amuse:
Wood roasted salsify served on sticks of wood; dip into white chocolate parsnip cream
Our truffle course was also way cool:
Roasted onion with celeriac cream and giant black truffle slices
And the single perfectly cooked roasted asparagus (with parm hollandaise, lemon foam, paper-thin parm tuiles, herbs )was best I ever had.
I did not get any kitchen noise, but they slid us into the back, so I might have missed the show.
Also mention Cafe Le Miroir in the 18th; lower end, but best food in a bistrot vein I encountered in Paris. Very, very, relaxed spot (like old east village), great selection of little known wines. Total deal!

Le Cinq may be the best meal I’ve ever had. floored. will write more later!

Moissonnier; why isn’t this place packed?

Might be because of the strong lean towards offal, but to me that is a feature. Hard to find Tablier de Sapeur, let alone perfectly cooked. Excellent desserts, plats, entrees, salads. We had three courses, coffee, dessert wine, armagnac, kir, two pots of cru Beaujolais, etc, 70E a person, a block from the Seine.

Lovely couple running the place, traditional setting, red banquettes.

David Lebovitz’ very positive review is still a bit understated, to me: