Outdated Wine Terms

I was thinking of ‘congeners’…not solely a wine thing but in the '70 people said hangovers came from congeners, which are fusel alcohols, as I recall. You got it in cheap brandy, Ports, high alcohol wines etc…

The theory has been disproven. The idea of congeners was used as an excuse to drink vodka.

Does anybody remember ‘garrigue’?? We has an epidemic of it in the late 80s, early 90s. "mineral’ had a strong run ten years ago.

legs, of course

also, the unique vernacular of rob rosania and friends – “heavy lumber” etc – seems to have died out pretty fast around here.

I got the sense that “outdated” meant “not useful” rather than simply meaning “not in fashion”.

I think terms like Asian Spice and Garrigue are still quite useful. Garrigue is definitely reminiscent of some parts of the California coast during summer. I definitely find this in a lot of Rhones.

Good one. Heavy lumber was outdated the first time it was used!

maybe not outdated, but certainly overused: seamless and transparent.

“Singing.”

And I admit to still using this once in a while -

True, although I have to admit I miss those excessives and reports some times. I’d take those over the '08 Great Recession and Rudy Fiasco any day…

I think some choice adverbial phrases may have fallen out of casual usage but may deserve reinstatement:
“Like a Thoroughbred mare in heat”
“In the manner of a Balinese gamecock”
And of course, “As if Led Zeppelin IV were played by monkeys with cymbals in a large vat of Cabernet” which I last used in the late 90’s.

lol, haven’t heard that one, but that’s a cab Id love to try!

Has to be a helluva lot better than Saturday Night Fever being played by Tasmanian Devils with tambourines in a vat of white zin.

Agreed with many posters above, legs is definitely outdated.

En magnum

“____ second finish” (especially those with a deliberately specific-sounding number like 73 seconds or something)

Interesting post. Though I can’t really say any of these out-dated words really bother me. Most types of communication of this sort run their cycle not only in wine, but in food in general. Btw, ‘foodie’ and ‘farm-to-table’ are also out of style along with the claim that “bacon makes everything better.”

I actually find the ‘batter-up’ words more comical sometimes.

With that said, the phrase that bothers me the most is when someone says a wine is ‘drinking well’.

k.

“Incoming!”

Robert Parker
eBob
[berserker.gif]

Does anybody remember ‘garrigue’?? We has an epidemic of it in the late 80s, early 90s. "mineral’ had a strong run ten years ago.

Good calls.

Also “perform” as it relates to a wine glass.

Two overused terms, within the past few years:

Red fruit, if the wine has a lighter red color.

Black fruit, if the wine has a darker red color.

Ed, overused or misused? Speaking of myself, a red fruited wine is strawberries and red raspberries and a black fruited…well, you get the point.
Cheers!

Bouquet