OMG one week later retaste - - TN: 2006 Charles Smith Royal City

• 2006 Charles Smith Syrah Royal City Stoneridge Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (11/26/2009)
    This was infanticide because I couldn’t wait to try the recent delivery. BIG MISTAKE. One hour after decant, it’s still very tight and giving up almost nothing. Bitter tanins make the mouth want to implode. But there seems to be a lot of intense flavor just waiting to escape. 13 hours after decant, I’m revisiting it. Begining to taste like syrah, with pepper, blueberry and cherry, but still bitterness in the mouth. I’m going to put the rest of them in deep storage. I normally like primary relatively new CA syrahs, but this is too raw.

Posted from CellarTracker

See my post below for 7 day decant retate!!!

well, travel shock… :slight_smile:

Even I would have told you to wait.
And I hardly EVER say that.

Yes, but in CT someone wrote "Here is a very special offering that must not be ignored. It was dark, ominous, pure, elegant, super structured and just down right enjoyable. It is what many Syrahs can only dream of being. Look for it soon. It will be pricey $80ish) but well worth the tariff. " So I decided to try it. I will open anotherr one in 2013.

Two things:
1-I have no idea of when the bottle I sampled was opened, or the decant procedure it may have underwent.

2-I liked it.

I stand by my original notes. Beyond that one must trample as they will.
[basic-smile.gif]

I didn’t want to mention who it was who wrote that note, but now that you bring it up . . . nah, I’ll just leave it at that.

It was either Pobega or Jay Miller or Robert Parker?

Parker likes to consume these out of dbl mag within one week of bottling. fresh juice.

Dan, like the Skull we shared at SLONYC 1. Needs at least a year or two in the bottle though.

I was cleaning up the kitchen on the way to work and realized that I had left a decanter with a few ounces of this on the counter. The wine was opened Thanksgiving, the decanter was covered with Saran Wrap and put in the refrigerator for a retate, it migrated back to the counter a few days later, and got lost. I decided to take a swig before tossing it.

There’s chocolate and cofee in them thar hills, as well as obvious blueberry, a tiny bit of vanilla, and great complexity. Wonderful mouth feel, the tanin bitterness is gone, very very long finish. The only thing I did not notice was classic syrah pepper spice. This wine now gets a big WOW.