OK let find out! How many Pappy calls do you get a day?

What’s wrong with someone enquiring about a product? Why do you assume everyone has the inside scoop? What’s wrong with tourists buying Pliny?

Where exactly did I say it was ‘wrong’? I find predictability of a tourist population to be quite amusing - especially when it happens like clockwork with no direct ‘guide’ making it happen…

Our Pliny never lasts much past Tuesday.

There are 2-3 places in town where you can get PtE on tap, so the bottles aren’t quite as sought after… I’ll grab one on occasion with a sandwich when I’m on my own for dinner.

I live in Bourbon country, and don’t like the stuff; my reaction to the PvW craze is about the same as yours. Now the feeding frenzy extends down the chain to W. L. Weller 12-year-old, which (my bourbon-drinking acquaintances tell me) is essentially the same thing as a 12-year-old PvW…but it’s something like $23. Sort of a second-label PvW…but now just as hard to find. A friend in Virginia asked me to pick some up for him, and, despite a valiant effort, I couldn’t. I wonder what’s next.

Well(er) said, Edward. You are spot on. Find what bourbon your like to drink, and move on. I actually got a head’s up on the Weller 12 from Phillip Franks, and bought 2 bottles at $30 / piece. I plan on drinking both of them, just like I do with every other $20 - $30 bottle of good bourbon I like to drink. F’k you Flippers. You won’t have a seat at my drinking table.

I avoid all of this and stick to Scotch. [cheers.gif]

Scotch may be next on the hit list. [head-bang.gif]

Just laughed a “civilian” who was trying to sell us bottles at $800 and $1400 per for the 20 and 23 year old out of the store…

Scotch has been escalating in price for several years, mostly because of the Chinese. But you don’t see these lemming problems.

I bought a few great bottles from Larry a few years ago. Great to do business with, but his secret is out. I remember he had one of the Old Rip 23 decanter sets in stock for $5-600? and I thought that was crazy pants. A friend just sold his for $4,200 earlier in the month. Damn.

Speaking to Larry – you still got that Bourye listed on your site?

We still get calls about the decanter set. I thought that was going to be a bust when they pitched it to me! A $100 up charge for a box and glasses made in china! we sold 54 sets. My opening order was for 9 as a jesture of good will since at that time we were getting 35 to 40 3 packs opf all flavors of pappy. I thought I would have them for the rest of my life. Resently, I had 2 guys tell me they have sold their for over 4K as well. so look at who the dummy is me I could be running auction from my hammock in the islands. I have a bottle maybe 2 of Bourye in house. Happy holidays all!

What if the PvW 20 year old IS your favorite bourbon…to drink, not flip?

You can’t blame people for trying. Every once in a while you read a story on this very here internetz forum about someone stumbling into a random store and finding a gem. Therefore I try when I travel. In boston recently I found a case with a bottle of Old Rip and GTS- Tried to buy them, but found out they were being raffled in a lottery…

Happened to me, sort of. My favorite whiskey was Sazerac 18, which used to be $50 or so. Sigh.

wow once a week. In LA it’s just once a month

Time to revisit this thread we have had 54 calls this morning so far. There seems to be a new crop of customers that have bought from me before and was just wondering…

54 in one morning? I’d be setting up an automated answering system with a recording saying store hours, no we don’t have any Pappy to sell you, and if you still want to talk to someone, please press 1. It gets pretty bad for us too, but not that bad. Maybe I shouldn’t speak too soon; each year has been worse than the previous year.

Costco really screwed up the local market for PVW. They pushed through a ballot initiative that privatized the liquor store system in the state and just when I had the distribution system cracked. With the state run stores it was a simple matter of first come first serve when shipments came in. These days you have to butter up the right palms.

It’s about to jump up now that there is another release.
I zone out. Bourbon is gross.