NYC recommendations on accomodations for 3 couples?

Carnegie Deli is still closed :frowning:[/quote]
Huh? Since when? Refurb?[/quote]

They were found to have been stealing gas for cooking and heating. Gas service was shut off and needs repairs.

Yelp claims they will reopen next year but that’s all I’ve heard and who knows what’s happened to all the experienced cooks and servers. Very sad.

speaking of Carnegie deli and theft, there was a deli in Pittsburgh that opened with the name Carnegie deli. Naturally, the real Carnegie deli pursued a cease and desist order. The Pittsburgh guy claimed he had never heard of the Carnegie Deli.

1937? A great year in Barolo.

Ok, the wife is digging Trump SOHO notwithstanding his debate performance.

Is this hotel situation in a cool location? The reviews are strong and the rooms look quite nice. Large suites as well.

Fallback is the Langham f/k/a The Setai.

It is on the west edge of the heart of Soho. It is very close to cool.Very nice motorcycle shop at the end of the street Great hotel if you ignore the Trump aspect.

After all the back and forth, my wife made the choice, it being her birthday weekend after all: Trump International. Yea, amused me, but was an excellent choice.

You know the old real estate saying: location location location.

Right on the SW corner of the Park. Jean-Georges in the lobby. Per se and Marea around the corner. Shopping everywhere. Oasis in the park.

The service was generally excellent, especially the bellhop and housekeeping level. Really friendly, helpful staff. These are well-trained people. We were even given use of the driver and car to go all the way down to the 9/11 memorial. Concierge was a bit weak.

The room, which is usually my big issue, was well-above the competition. More space and amenities at a better price than the competition among the big hotels on or along the Park. We had a 2-room suite since we brought our son, which even came with a fully equipped kitchen. Was like a small NYC apartment. Oh, and we arrived to a chiled bottle of decent champagne and some chocolates. Nice touch.

Would stay here again and recommend it. If you are looking for a more quaint, romantic hotel, this would not be it. If you are looking for location, spacious rooms, friendly service, this is a great choice.

Thanks for the info, Robert. Was the price competitive?

Compared to the other comparable properties right there at the Park, it was lower. A park-side suite was about $1000 per night all in and the city-side suite was about $850 all in. Ritz, Mandarin, Surrey, et al., all higher for smaller rooms. Overall a much better value. Surrey would be my next choice if this were a more romantic weekend with my wife. Hotel One would be a cool option for just a fun, hip weekend. Had a nice vibe.

How many bottles of wine did you buy while in NYC? How many watches?

By the way, happy birthday to both of you youngsters.

Thanks, Howard, much appreciated!

Funny enough, I didn’t buy any wine retail while there. I already buy most of my stuff from Crush and Chambers anyway, so nothing new! I at least popped in to Chambers to check it out and then promptly ordered some more stuff when I got him (1988 Meyney). I am about to buy my son a beautiful chrono that I saw at the watch fair. That was fun to see him so jazzed about it. Will be his Xmas gift.

Wife and I are already chatting about NYC again. Our son graduates in 18 mos, and we will go back to being traveling fools like we were earlier in our lives!

Hopefully this time you’ll have time for “the little people”. neener

Salil? [wow.gif]

He did send me a few nasty texts, but then we kissed and made up!

We are going next week to the tasting at the Fete du Champagne. Made a deal with my wife that I get to go to the tasting in the afternoon if I take her to a play Saturday night. We are going to see Hamilton.

Howard - just got back from NYC last week where my wife and I saw Hamilton. Loved it. Had a wonderful meal at Marea (brought a 96 Krug and bought a 2004 Rav off the list) and saw Dee Dee Bridgewater at a fundraiser at the Standard the night before. We stayed at the W on Union Square. We like the area but the hotel is so so. Enjoy!