NYC January 24, 2012 Anthill Farms Winery / The New California... 2.0

That’s fine Ethan.
Welcome aboard Ross. Looking forward to trying that Littorai. [cheers.gif]

Alex,
It’s a good one… That said, even the regular Littorai coast blend is something special. Looking forward to it! [cheers.gif]

3 of the wineries that Web Marquez will be pouring on January 24th made the SF Chronicle Top 100. I’m not sure what Web is bringing, but this was a nice showing for the group at Anthill. Below is the link. I found this list impressive in its inclusion of smaller wineries and lesser known names. Lots of good stuff to try. [cheers.gif]

[http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/wine/top100-2011/intro2009

Anthill Farms Demuth Vineyard Anderson Valley Pinot Noir ($42, 13.3%):

The Anthill trio turned out a stellar line in 2009, but this vineyard designate is likely something to watch, seeing as Anthill’s Anthony Filiberti now works for Demuth’s new owner (see below). Steely and cool on the nose, this is like raspberry ice with a balsamic edge. The chewy berry fruit shows a chalky mineral aspect that’s the very essence of Anderson Valley’s tension-filled style.

2009 Knez Winery Cerise Vineyard Anderson Valley Pinot Noir ($39, 13.4%):

It might taste like old-time Anderson Valley, but here’s a sign of the area going back to the future. From Peter Knez, who purchased the stellar Cerise and Demuth sites a few years ago, and made by Anthill Farms’ Anthony Filiberti, this meshes subtle oak perfume with a tightly wound package of cardamom, carnation and cherry blossom, and coppery berry fruit.

2010 Massican Annia Napa Valley White Wine ($26, 12.1%):

Dan Petroski’s personal project (by day he’s making wine at Larkmead) would be interesting just for its unusual blends, but the Annia has come into its own as a serious wine. A mix of Tocai Friulano, Ribolla Gialla and Chardonnay, it’s nearly electric with alpine flowers, ripe almond and Meyer lemon. This time there’s notably dense flavor and extract, matched by dramatic acidity from the cool vintage.

January is here and in a few weeks we will have our Anthill Farms Winery Off-line at Trstle on Tenth. I will be organzing a menu next week with Ralf and Webster and am in discussion with Webster on wines he will bring.

Please let me know what wine you will bring and I will post it in the initial post so we can see who is bringing what. This should be a good one and am looking forward to it.

Unfortunately I can’t make it, hopefully I can make the next one.

sorry not to see you. Until the next one…

I’ll bring an '09 Halcon Alturas Syrah.

Eric

I’ll probably bring 2008 Copain Syrah Brosseau Vineyard. If not, then I will bring 2009 Rhys Pinot Family Farm Vineyard.

I will bring the 2006 Anthill Farms Pinot Noir Tina Marie Vineyard and the 2006 Radio-Coteau Pinot Noir Alberigi if that sounds OK.

Sounds great to me. Looking forward to trying the Radio Coteau. [cheers.gif]

We will bring 2007 Hirsch San Andreas Pinot, probably something from Lioco, not sure on the third. My local shop has the current Knez SVDs - although if Webster is bringing those I’ll find something else, maybe an older Alesia.

I should find out fairly soon from Web what he exactly is bringing…

please see added note in original post

Hi Alex,

I’m confirmed +1. Not entirely sure on the wines yet, but one will likely be 2009 Copain Monument Tree. I’ll let you know on the other as soon as I can.

I’ll be there with Maru Davila and Lynn Lathrop, … we’ll be in town for the UCG tastings. Will try to rustle up a Cabot or two and one more Rhys (especially since it comes from my hometown)

Since it doesn’t sound like Webster is bringing Knez pinots, I’ll bring the Cerise and Demuth 2009s. Probably be a fun comparison to the Anthill. Couldn’t get the Lioco anyway. Third will still probably be the HIrsch, but might change that.

Can you please make me +2?

Thank you!

Cheers!

Bill

Sure thing. We now have a full house. I’ll mark you as confirmed. Do yuou have an idea of what you might be bringing?

There seems to be a lack of whites, so I will bring a couple of bottles.

2 x 2009 Bedrock Cuvee Caritas Sonoma County White Wine
2 x 2010 2010 Bedrock Wine Co. Mourvedre Ode to Lulu Rosé
2-3 x TBD Reds

Sorry for the late response. I am confirmed and will bring something from Clos Saron and most likely something else interesting.