Next Week's Beer Focus - The Master thread for beer focus weeks

Funny you mention the Bruery. Last night I went to my first WHO (Westchester Homebrewers Organization) meeting at Capt. Lawrence Brewery (some awesome homebrews were brought by a lot of the members). The group decided to do something similar for the next meeting, which falls on Oct. 27th. Everyone must bring either a homebrew or commercial version of a Märzen/Oktoberfest. We decided to lump in the Autumn Maple into this style.

So do I include this with the Octoberfests or Pumpkins. I would rather hold off until the Pumpkins since it seems more related to them, but I’m O.K either way.

Are we all gonna get some of that first batch of Homebrews of yours?
[drinkers.gif]

Once it’s ready. Haven’t even started it.

Mega-NO! on that. It’s a Belgian style interpretation of a Pumpkin beer, using yams and maple syrup instead. Very sweet, spicy, actually aged well from the one I kept out of last year’s batch. Save it for the Pumpkin beer tasting.

Regarding Pumpkin beers in general, it may be more of an East Coast thing, but there are quite a few microbreweries that really revel in them. Some are little more than putting pie spices in a basic ale, but there are lots of good ones. Smuttynose, Dogfish Head, Weyerbacher, Southern Tier, Terrapin come to mind from what I carry, but there are lots more, and quite a few do draft only. Apparently to use real pumpkins is a time consuming task to prepare and you need a lot to get any sort of true pumpkin flavor, so some guys may make very limited batches.

Thanks for the clarification Matthew.

+1

That’s a lot of help.

Mea culpa…bit of a mental fart. It was NOT the Bruery that we included in the tasting, it was Southern Tier’s Harvest Ale. Sorry.

http://www.beermenus.com/beers/southern-tier-harvest-ale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is great Matthew, Now I just wish I could get some of that Southern Tier Pumking out this way to see what all the hype is about.

Just picked up the Dogfish Head New Holland, and Terrapin pumpkin today. Getting cold for the pumpkin beer tasting.

Must be polarizing…Beer Advocate reviews are A’s and F’s. Interesting.

It is the Mollydooker of pumpkin beers. Along with their Creme Brulee stout, they are two of the sweetest beers I have ever encountered. I have a hard time finishing a 22oz bottle on my own, and I can take out a 750ml of Dogfish Head 120Minute IPA solo.

AHHH, ok. Out of my league then. I’ve had the Creme Brulee stout. 2 ounces is delicious, then I go into a sugar coma.

Pumpkin beer tally so far…

1 - Cigar City Pumpkin Ale - tap (pumpkin with a kick! reminded me of a belgian ale body with pumpkin)
2 - Southern Tier - tap (damn, just damn, taste the pumpkin and what seemed like a graham cracker, creamy texture)
3 - Southampton - tap (really couldn’t taste the pumpkin - rather plain and thin to me)
4 - Smuttynose - tap (little more flavor than the SH)
5 - Shipyard - bottle (nice pumpkin flavor)

My ranking
2, 1, 4, 5, 3

I should have written some notes - [head-bang.gif]

Ok, I updated the top post to add pumpkin beers for the current week as discussed.

Weren’t we doing these with a week’s rest in between? [scratch.gif]

I am! I start this weekend.

So how come Whetrock put 10/4-10/11, Kimo Sabe?

He knew you are always late to these things and wanted to get you moving. neener

What Scott said. neener

I thought since they were very seasonal as indicated above and not going to be around long that we wanted to bang them out with the Marzens and then break between for whatever is next. I can slide it back or extend it if that is what is wanted.