New Yorkers Are So Lucky -- Russ and Daughters

We went to Acme one Friday morning when they are open to the public. Amazing assortment and good prices. The Mitzvah Mobile was there for anyone wanting to don t’fillin and daven.

I hope I’m not coming off as ignorant…I really do.

You mention you eat Sturgeon but I’ve always thought (and been told) that it isn’t Kosher. I did a little bit of reading and see that there are different interpretations regarding certain fish, though.

Is there a lot of pushback against these shops selling Sturgeon?

There’s no pushback that I know of against the sale of sturgeon.

The kosher question with sturgeon is complicated. At the heart of the matter if the Biblical passage “These you may eat of all that live in water; anything in water, whether in the seas or in the streams, that has fins and scales–these you may eat.” (Leviticus 11:9)

So scales and fins is key, which is why shellfish are out. Sturgeon (and swordfish) have scales when they’re young, but they cannot be removed easily without tearing the skin, so the Orthodox community believes that they are not kosher. Conservative and reformed Jews generally believe that sturgeon are kosher.

(not an ignorant question, plenty of Jews are confused too)

I think you have the wrong Acme. [wink.gif] Look here >

8 year old me was very confused when we couldn’t set out sturgeon on holidays when grandma and grandpa were visiting.

Interesting…Just got back from my annual trip back “home.” R&D is among our first stops as we do our food drive around. We then usually hit Murray’s and Ottomanelli’s and/or Florence Meats. I really do not find R&D to be much more expensive considering the quality of the assorted smoked salmons than every “average” bagel shop in NY. It is minimal and i personally find the difference well worth it. Truthfully, I have not been to the Cafe and I am talking about take home prices from the Houston Street store.

FWIW, we saw “Allegiance.” It was a good but not great musical and reminded me of musicals from another era…kind of old fashioned. It did show a darker episode in American history but I do not think that is why it failed. Musically, it just was sort of repetitive and a bit boring.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]