New Orleans, the short list

How is the Pelican Club. Have reservations there as well as August and Peche

We were there last year. We were underwhelmed at August but were very pleasantly surprised by how very good Emeril’s flagship restaurant was. It was near our hotel and the streets were all blocked due to Mardi Gras.

I have heard from friends K-Paul’s is on an upswing of late.

The only place in New Orleans I felt lived up to the immense hype is Commander’s Palace. Immaculate service, great wine list and awesome food. It’s a bit formal but the pace of the meal is very casual.

Emeril’s was okay, but I really enjoyed the wine list. Last time we went we decided to pregame at the Emeril’s bar then have dinner at Luke and I’m glad we made the choice. The first time I went to Emeril’s I ordered steak because they had 98 Guigal Chateau d’Ampuis for a killer price. If I were to eat there again I’d avoid red meat, order strictly seafood and kill several bottles of Riesling and Gruner.

Just ate a late lunch at Luke. I would go back in a heart beat. Next up is La petite grocery.

I must have ordered wrong at La Petite Grocery, I didn’t enjoy my meal there.

Just booked reservations at Commander’s Palace - can’t wait. Definitely on my dining bucket list.

The old guard(s) really don’t hold up anymore imho… Lived there for 8 years and can say the last 24 months the food scene has finally outgrown the overrated names like emerils,kpaul, and antiones! Places like Root, herbsaint and most importantly Peche have moved the city into the 21st century. Anything Besh is amazing and Revolution is also quite good. Butcher and couchon are great examples of what southern cooking is today, not in 1956.

Yes. Although I still love Galatoire’s.

The old guard still holds a place in my heart, just think they have done a horrible job evolving, the old adage “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” just doesn’t work for me when it comes to restutants. That being said for visitors I belive they will all satisfy the diner, just not sure how many people walk away dieing to come back before going anywhere else.

I was there for 5 days last August. Went to Dooky Chase for their lunch buffet; Jacques Imo’s; Cochon Butcherie; Galatoires, and August. At the time and now, the lunch at Dooky Chase and, particularly, the dinner at Galtoire’s stand out a great memories. I remember almost nothing about August, other than that the portions were too small to be satisfying…and the multi ingredients in every dish are a blur/get lost as individuals.

I am all for trendy, artistic/art on the plate dining. But, I am also mindful of the appeal of the classics and why they have survived so many trends and fads, especially in a city like New Orleans, which is such a great city for varied and local ingredients to feature, rather than including in a mixture where all of them get lost-- or, at least, are not indentifiable as such.

I would go back to Galatoire’s and Dooky Chase before going “anywhere else” without a second thought.

I don’t revere all the classics. Mother’s on Poydras has gone down down…or my tastes have really changed. But, I also appreciate durability as a proven expression of what a place has to offer by way of ingredients and proven tastes.

In fairness to August, Cochon, et al…as I’ve aged, I do find efforts to impress with food art…well…exhausting and relatively unenjoyable…maybe even contrived.

Just another point of view from here.

Great list of new and old favorites. None of these are the top end restaurants but all would be great to try especially if your looking for some new casual lunch spots and you can travel outside of downtown. It really is amazing the number of high quality restaurants.

Just got back from a quick trip. Highlights were Pizza Domencia uptown on Magazine. Casual offshoot of Besh’s Domencia downtown. Solid neopolitan pizza and small plates.

Adeline is the new restaurant that opened where Stella used to be in the Hotel Provencal on Chartes. I’d rate it very good to excellent. Chef is from Alabama and his food is a bit more Southern than Creole New Orleans. They did a great job with the space and it’s a bit more casual and inviting then it’s predecessor. Worth checking out for sure.

Bumping this as we will be there next month for 2 nights. Anything new or exciting?

Jay- lot’s going on. I can’t believe how many new restaurants have opened. This is a great source of info for everything

http://www.nola.com/eat-drink/

thanks!

Glad you liked Coop’s place awesome fried chicken.

To add to the new thread…a great little, slightly under the radar place, is Iris. Delicious food and a very reasonable corkage. Over on Magazine, I really enjoy Lilette. Still believe Domilise is the best po’boy around and agree with my buddy Glenn about the char grilled oysters at the Drago’s in Metarie. Also, I think the Bourbon House is great for happy hour…Teriffic selection of Bourbon and excellent oysters.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

As Benny Grunch would say," Iris ain’t dere no more." But the same people do have an “Italian inspired restaurant” in the Bywater section of town called Mariza.

Nina Compton’s place has opened. On the edge of the Warehouse district one block off Poydras. Excellent Caribbean/Creole influence. Definitely unique for the area and quite good.
Compère Lapin

Had another solid dinner at Angeline- Fried quail( their spin on hot chicken), gulf shrimp and pork belly confit, crab linguini, seared fish. All done very well.

City is doing very well and fall is in the air.

Michael: Thanks for the update…Unfortunately, bad news. Have you been to Mariza?

Cheers!
Marshall