New Orleans, the short list

reservations made thus far:

La Petite Grocery
Herbsaint
Galatoire’s
The Pelican Club
August

going to hit Eat on Saturday morning for brunch, and will fill in some gaps with the reccos from the board, thank you all!

Looks pretty darn good to me…but I would somehow try to fit in Cochon.

Hope you have a great time! We enjoyed our visit so much, it’s a great city.

Domilese is a lunch must as is Coop’s Place for great fried chicken!

Cheers!
Matshall :wink:

Any thoughts on Dickie Brennan’s, y’all? Looking to set something up for next Saturday night.

Just got back from NO.

Coops was excellent for fried chicken, jambalaya, and bloody marys. Maybe the best meal of the trip.

Cochon was pretty good but not as good as the first few visits.

Cochon Butcher is excellent as always. Grabbed some vacuum packed andouille and country sausage for home.

Herbsaint was excellent. Gumbo was delicious. Waitress was a little grumpy (maybe about having to work 2 days after Christmas). 2008 Coche Dury Meursault was 350. Very tempting.

Arnauds was a service disaster. Trainee waiter forgot at least one item a course and then started to be annoyed at us when we asked for a no show dessert that still hadn’t arrived 30 minutes after the other ones had. Jazz was nice but I wish I would have done Commander’s Palace instead. Food was very mediocre at Arnaud’s.

NOLA Po’boys for gumbo, boudin (smoked and regular) and boudin balls. Boudin was tastier and more flavorful than the Cochon versions.

Not sure if it’s too late, but Coquette is an absolutely amazing restaurant, in the Garden District/Irish Channel. Not sure how it doesn’t get more press, tremendous quality, creativity, and service.

Their 5 course tasting menu has to be the best value for high end dining in the entire city - $70 for 5* courses (not including wine). I say 5* because there’s always a couple of amuse bouches, and they almost always find a reason to sneak in an extra course.

No idea about their corkage policy though.

Kind of an old fashioned New Orleans restaurant - but my favorite in NO -

MANDINA’S -

Their Trout Almandine is superb as is the Turtle Soup -

Had a terrific late lunch @ Mandina’s last time we were in NOLA. They were very nice to our then 2.5 y/o son, who was going nuts in there!

Glenn - Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Your post reminded me of an early dinner we had at NOLA (one of my favorite places in New Orleans) when our daughter, who is now in college, was around the same age. They treated her like a princess.

Such a family friendly dining city. Cochon was also a memorable family meal, had our son and a SQN on a street table!

Got back last night, great trip.

I didn’t take detailed notes, but I suppose I can summarize our experience using s; -** (1 thru 4)

Tuesday afernoon: some broiled oysters at Brennan’s Bourbon House, *******
Tuesday dinner: Besh Steak, service was meh, food good/very good, but what an awful setting, ******
Wednesday lunch: Palace Cafe (downstairs), service and food both very good toward excellent, *******
Wednesday dinner: August, major homerun, excellent food/excellent service, great setting, fried oysters killed it, ********
Thursday lunch: Le Petite Grocery, seriously great food, excellent service/setting, ***** 1/2**
Thursday dinner: Galatoire’s, my first time there, totally unimpressed. Upstairs, thankfully. Good/very good food/setting/service, **** 1/2**
Friday lunch: Herbsaint, another homerun. Very good/excellent food/service/setting. Well-priced/thoughtful list, ***** 1/2+**
Friday dinner: The Pelican Club. Good/Very good food/service/setting. One of the least inspired wine lists I’ve seen in a while, *******
Saturday lunch: Palace Café, ate upstairs this time (and on the weekend, so not apples-to-apples). Total meh. Service sucked, ******

My flight left a day before my friends’, so I missed out last night on Restaurant R’evolution and brunch at Commander’s Palace this morning.

All in all, a great time. It’s been 20 years to the month since I’ve been there, but I left already thinking about returning w/in the next 12 mos. Could even become an annual thing, I/wife liked it that much.

No corkage but good wine deals and good food and just a few blocks from Commanders.

Going in early March. Currently have reservations for dinner at La Petite Grocery the first night and August the second night. Lunch we will probably do Cochon Butcher one day and the rest are TBD. Never been before so really looking forward to experiencing the New Orleans dining scene.

They did announce the return of Chazfest on the Weds between Jazz Festivals. Considering Mon-Fri run.

Does no one go to Upperline anymore? I always had excellent meals there.

My favorite place in New Orleans.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Restaurant R’evolution was excellent last night albeit a bit pricey.

Death By Gumbo
Panned Veal Chop with warm crab salad
Terrific service and their version of an Old Fashion is tops

great thread and most of the top places identified. We were just in town for a quick lunch and dinner on Sunday. R’evolution was great and I can see why it’s gotten all the buzz. I would say Coquette, Herbsaint, LPGrocery, Conchon and August along with R’evolution are the best of the best IMO.

Commander’s still one of our favorites and love Jazz brunch there. We did manage to get a shrimp po boy at Domiliisie’s and an outpost of Mr Ed’s seafood opened in the qtr and had some outstanding raw oysters at the bar with cold Abita beer.

If you want to keep up with the local dining scene check out Nola.com. Great section on food and drinks.

Cheers

Headed there this weekend. Is Emeril’s flagship restaurant any good? What about K-Paul’s? Open to any other suggestions - will be with family including young kids.