New England Road Trip - August

You’ve received good advice on Portland, but I’ll add four places in the area, one which is new this summer:

1. Hang out at Rising Tide Brewery in the afternoon on a Sunday, with live music and a food truck. Great beer and you’ll get a better “local” experience than just about anywhere else. The only thing I’m not sure of is whether your 8 year old can hang out – I hope so, because I think she’d love the scene.

2. Have dinner at The Well at Jordan Farm. It’s basically a pop-up restaurant on a farm in Cape Elizabeth, open only in the summer, and BYOB. Beautiful setting, food as good as just about anything you’ll find at a restaurant in Portland (which is a high bar), and you can drink your own wine, so really affordable. Good for a family.

3. Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster in Freeport. Perfect on-the-water lobster shack experience, not quite as touristy as most of the places Down East, and you can combine it with checking out Freeport/L.L. Bean, which is worth a stop.

4. Tempo Dulu restaurant, which just opened at the Danforth Inn. A bit fancier than most other places in town, with truly awesome food. It’s primarily Indonesian, with a smattering of options from other Southeast Asian cuisines. We ate there last month and we are going back tonight. One of my two favorite meals I’ve had in Portland this year (other was at Back Bay Grill).

Too bad I just saw it - could have joined in. This was our last night here. The omacase at miyake was excellent. But the street and Co…was very dissapointong tbh. The beer bar was just beer geek heaven (went there the first might and back after dinner the next night). Had excellent lunch at the Good Table in cape Elizabeth … may go back for breakfast. Also good breakfast today in Bath - at Mae’s Cafe …

Oh and lunch at Roost cafe in ogunquit was ridiculous good