New England Road Trip - August

Unfortunately not ( mystic will be a stop on the way to Providence but of you can suggest a lunch spot in Providence perhaps ? We will just walk around the city center for a bit - to see the city and likely head to Plymouth Plantation since our son likes history and was learning a bit about the early settlers.

Most of the places in “Down City” I know are dinner spots only. However, if you stop on Federal Hill(Italian district), which is a short drive(2mi) from downtown, Nick’s on Broadway serves an awesome brunch Wed-Sun … http://nicksonbroadway.com/site/breakfast-lunch/ . Also if it happens to be a Sunday you are traveling through then I might also suggest Loie Fuller’s brunch which is just around the corner from Nicks … http://www.loiefullers.com .

Gary - thanks! it will be Saturday but Nicks looks great!

The blueberry pie at Two Fat Cats bakery in Portland is worth the drive from New York. And it’s right across the street from Duckfat.

I had a delicious lobster roll at Marriner’s Restaurant on Main Street in Camden 3 years ago. And there was a good wine store just down the street.

Thanks to both - added to list !

This was one of my favorite things to do in Portland when we were there a couple of years ago.

http://www.luckycatch.com/

Don’t miss Novare Res if you like beer even a little bit. One of the best beer bars in the country.

Cool thanks!

Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound in Kittery. Great place to stop.

Yup we are doing that on day 2 for dinner I think.

This might be too out of your way, but it’s a possible drive from Portland: Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Very cool for all ages.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

thanks. it is on my list for what to do as well - not sure from where yet - maybe on the day we move from portland to camden

Mikhail: We ate at Street and Co. in Portland a few weeks ago. The food is nothing short of superb, some of the best fish I’ve had in a very long time, and they had good wine by the glass (didn’t investigate the bottle menu). Almost entirely seafood. It is definitely not a Michelin star atmosphere (as somebody said somewhere on WB), but has excellent service, while being very lively and not so quiet.

we don’t get over to MDI so much since it’s an hour or so and there is lots to do here (Blue Hill peninsula). But Burning Tree (on Rt 3, I think in Otter Creek) was excellent last time we were there (2 yrs ago). Friends say it is still as good. You would need to reserve ahead. Do NOT go to Trenton Bridge lobster pound (also on Rt 3, just before you cross the causeway to the island) it’s a tourist trap. Par contre, we had good lobsters at Abel’s, on Rt 198 just north of Northeast Harbor a few weeks ago. If the weather is good you can sit outside overlooking Somes Sound, very pretty, and there is a boat yard there as well, fun to poke around (and likely hear some real Maine accents). IIRC you are a lit person. Marguerite Yourcenar’s house (Petite Plaisance) is in Northeast Harbor and well worth a visit. You have to book in advance, but generally not hard to get in. It is pretty much exactly as she left it and the guides, esp. Joan Howard–hope I got her name right–she lived there for a summer or two with MY–are very good.

If you get over this way (which seems unlikely, given your schedule) the best resto by far is Aragosta in Stonington. Not only is the food excellent, but it’s right on the harbor. However it’s a good 1 1/2 hrs from Bar Harbor. Also very good are Buck’s (in Buck’s Harbor, Brooksville) and Arborvine in Blue Hill. The Blue Hill Inn has dinner Monday and Tuesday nights, fixed menu, which we haven’t tried yet but hear good reports. If you do go to Blue Hill, be sure to stop at the Wine Shop and meet Max, a real local character (you can tell him I sent you).

Peter - Thanks! added info to the lists!

Don’t miss Novare Res if you like beer even a little bit. One of the best beer bars in the country.

Second this advice.

Sounds fun…how does it work for non beer people? (I love beer but my wife is more of a cider/wine person and the 8 yeaold well he isn’t allowed :slight_smile: )

Looks like a great little road trip!! Enjoy, Mikhall!!

Thanks!

I’ll add to the Portland discussion since you’re spending some time there.

Novare Res does offer some cider and a small but not terrible wine list. I don’t know what the child situation is there. You might be able to site outside on their large deck with your kid. Their food is definitely snack/bar type food, but it’s surprisingly very good.

I’ll second the Street & Co. recommendation. I’ve always found the food there to be very well prepared. I love the wine list (bottle) because it has been very well chosen to go with the food. There aren’t crazy trophy bottles on there, but if you want a nice bottle of Italian white that will compliment your meal perfectly, there are lots of options.

Miyake is a fantastic sushi restaurant. The wine list leaves a LOT to be desired (considering the level of cuisine, it’s borderline unacceptable), but the food really is outstanding. You’d pay 2-3 times as much in a bigger city for a meal that is not any better.

You might want to hit up Green Elephant for lunch. It’s a vegetarian Asian restaurant that’s good enough that the meat eaters I’ve brought have been impressed.

Paciarino is another good lunch spot for traditional Italian. It isn’t fine dining, but everything is very well executed, with good ingredients, and shows how simplicity can be a very good thing.

Bintliff’s is one of my favorite breakfast restaurants anywhere. The crab cake benedict is fantastic, but you might not have an appetite for lunch. Everything there is a step above what you find at most breakfast restaurants. During the week it’s easy enough to get in, but on the weekend you’ll want to either get there early, be prepared for an insane wait, or not go.

Outside of Portland, I also recommend stopping at the botanical gardens, and doing so on your way from Portland to Camden would be a good move. A couple of hours is enough time to see the place.

Thanks! adding to the list!

any other must see stops on the way?

also - have any of you guys made the drive up Mt Washington (NH) in a car ? how bad is it? getting conflicting info :slight_smile: