Need Portland restaurant

You realize we are referring to Portland, Oregon Ron??

I know you’ve come and gone, but to add a few things to a rec’d Portland List
Smallwares
www.smallwarespdx.com

Nong’s Khao Man Gai
www.khaomangai.com

Woodsman Tavern

Olympic Provisions

Ambonnay (Champagne Bar)

Broder Nord (breakfast / brunch)

I ate or drank at all of them a few weeks ago and I left every place full and happy.

Pok Pok was worth the wait and all of the hype. Funky setting, delicious food. That area of town is bustling with foodie establishments. Appears they can’t build the lofts fast enough to get the hipsters moved in!

Arriving Thur for 5 nights. Dinner at: Ox, Bollywood Theater, Olympic Provisions & Ava Gene’s. Gonna hit Nong’s, Pok Pok, Roman Candle & Bunk for lunch. Cascade, Commons, Upright & Hair of the Dog are on the itinerary as are Belmont Station, Apex & Baily’s. Might hit Tasty N Alder & Maurice for breakfast. Missing anything?

Please bring me some Salt & Straw ice cream. 1 of each flavor please.

you will look like your avatar.

Of the places you mentioned I think Ava Gene’s especially but OX too are pretty overrated. Are you specifically looking for wood fired food? If so, I’d recommend Ned Ludd as a bit more local and less pretentious (for Portland). But if it’s fine dining you want, Castagna is world class. You should also consider Le Pigeon, St. Jack and Roe (all three require reservations).

If you like cocktails, Teardrop Lounge and Multnomah Whiskey Library are top 10 in America per Esquire (or some similar mag).

At me some Salt & Straw last night. Still recovering.

Jason

If you are fine with another cart you might consider substituting Burrasca for Roman Candle for lunch. Can get wine or beer at that cart pod as well. Gotta agree with the Ava Gene’s comment above, but many people like it better than I.

Good beer lineup there. If you are into champagne look up Pix/Bar Vivant, or Ambonnay.

Thx all. We are avoiding prix fix and we have some vegetarians (not vegan thankfully). Ava Gene’s is a friend’s choice, but I’ve heard very good things. What other Italian do you like? S & S, Ambonnay are on the list. BTW-which locale of Olympic Prov is preferred?

How do you know I don’t already? neener

The SE location of Olympic Provisions is across the street from Ambonnay and Red Slate.

Every place in Portland will have vegeterian friendly food, so that’s not a reason to go to Ava Gene’s.

And I agree with everything John said above.

I like both Olympic Provisions locations. They are slightly different. NW menu is a little more limited. Wine selections are very much in line with what I like at both locations. SE location has the bottles where you can check them out yourself before making a decision. NW bottles are also in the open but a little harder to access, since they are behind a table or two. Does leave you lusting after the bottles right near you, though, if you are at one of those tables! Both locations are a bit more oriented towards no more than four in a group.

If you are set on Italian, then Ava Gene’s is certainly one option; Nostrana (I recommend skipping the pizza) and Firehouse (esp. mussels) can be excellent.

Caffe Mingo ain’t bad but generally, Italian isn’t our strongsuit.

Not these days anyway. It used to be better! RIP Genoa (earlier iterations), Alba Osteria.

Interesting, as the NW menu looked to have more options…

We’re going with friends to Ava Gene’s so not my pick, but I’m looking frwd to it.

Wanted to report back. First, we loved the city, a wonderful food/beer/wine culture, it’s ease in public transportation, beautiful architecture and the almost perfect weather. Dinners at Ox, Ava Genes, Olympic Prov (SE) & Biwa. Beers at Upright (best of the trip), Cascade, Hair o Dog, Deschutes & McMenamins. All good to great. Beers also at Baily’s Tap, Beer Mongers & Belmont Station. Happy hour at Tasty n Alders (great food) and Clyde Commons (great wine list) was wonderful. The line for Nong’s lunch was ridiculous, had brats instead. Also Bunk for lunch was great. Barista, Coava & Heart were fantastic. Had a wonderful tasting with fellow Berserker Jason Hagen at Jim Anderson’s place. Jim is making top tier Pinot. He opened bottles from different climates which really helped me to understand the various appellations and soils. The 2011 Patricia Green Olenik Vineyard “Ankelbreaker” Pinot Noir is easily one of the greatest OR Pinots I’v ever tasted. All in all a fantastic time in PDX and a place I hope to return to soon. Thanks for all the input I received here.

Just back from a family wedding in PDX. Here are my notes. dinner at Andina the first night, lively atmosphere, solid wine list, imaginative cocktails and great food. Tuna crudo, beef heart and octopus were best in show among multiple plates. Solid brunch at Tasty 'n Alder. great donuts from Blue Star (far better than the pink box IMHO)
dinner at NW outpost of Olympic Provisions, for a place that is an homage to pig one of the best dishes was a salad of strained yogurt, heirloom melon, cucumber and avocado; the charcuterie was sublime.
popped in for a quick lunch at Lardo as well, good sandwiches made to order.

I’m fascinated to see that Andina often pops up on the radar of tourists. Not sure I’d put it in the top 50 in Portland but they’ve clearly got good marketing.