Need Portland restaurant

eating at Ned Ludd, Pok Pok, and Le Pigeon, reservations at all except Pok Pok where we’ll likely go for a lunch. Will check out Racion. Anything else?

She ought to have dessert too at Le Pigeon. Good line up.

she already made her trip–and loved
Pok Pok. This is my trip! Next weekend.

Cool. Have dessert, and let me know if you are near McMinnville. My locale is glamourously light industrial.

Pok Pok wait till about 1:30 for lunch. Chicken wings a must. Nostrana good for informal lunch= good pasta & pizza.

Beast. Chef Naomi Pomeroy just won a James Beard award. Had dinner there for my anniversary this week… good stuff!

The restaurant at the Heathman has solid food and a sleeper wine list.

Bar Avignon is fab!

Key to success at dinner here is to put your name on the list at Pok Pok, tell them you’re going to the Whiskey Soda Lounge across the street and then go grab cocktails and the fish wings over there. Same restaurant group, and they’ll call over to Whiskey Soda and let you know when your table is ready.

That’s what I’ve done in the past. But even if you’re waiting at Whiskey Soda, it’s worth noting you can be waiting awhile if it’s crowded.

Agree. We used to go there a lot because my wife used to live in that area before we were married. Food was always solid and they always had a well chosen list.

great lunch at Pok Pok today, le Pigeon coming up tonight, very nice meal last night at Andina with super wine service from the somm. Food truck lunch ok yesterday but not special. Portland is a good food town.

Alan, glad you liked Andina!
What’s your connection to Portland?
Or just visiting for fun?

Btw agree with Patrick - very good wine list at Heathman.

Add St. Jack to your list. Deep Beaujolais list.
I’d skip the Heathman, food not excusable.

Alan, were headed to McMinnville Thursday and looking for lunch in Portland around 1. Good time for Pok Pok? Wait times? Thinking I need to check it out since Anthony Bourdain is so enamored by this guy. Not really into waiting too long though.

if you get to PokPok before 1130 for lunch, wait is short!

Thoughts on le Pigeon Alan?

I’m not Alan, but we have been to Le Pigeon multiple times over the past several years & enjoy it every time. Classic French underpinnings with just enough innovation to make it interesting. It’s the only Portland restaurant we return to regularly. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

good but not special–maybe I am spoiled but if this is Portland’s best, I am a bit underwhelmed. Least favorite dinner we had (food wise) but service and ambience nice. Let me look for the names of the Peruvuan restaurant we went to and the Italian one–liked them better. Got it–Andina and Serratto.

Ideas coming from Kirk Grant for an upcoming OL weekend

Green Elephant - Vegitarian food: Brussel Sprouts, Siameese Dream, Panang Curry, & Spicy green leaf salad
The Thirsty Pig - Everything is Sausage based…they have some amazing sausages and pub-fare food.
Duck Fat - This place is known for their french fries. Votes one of ten best in the world (although maybe it was just America) through a Yahoo News Article. They cook their french fries in duck fat and offer dipping sauces like Thai chili mayo, black truffle ketchup, and so on…they have a nice beet salad and a decent selections of Paninis.
Novare Res - This is probably one of the best Beir Gardens I’ve been to in America. They have a HUGE selection of very rare beers and decent snacks that go well with the beers on the menu. For the beer lovers…this is only a few steps away from The Thirsty Pig.

Other restaurants that are highly reccommended but are not BYO for future visits in Portland are:
Prices are as follows $= Bargain $$= Restaurant prices ($25-$40/entre) $$$= Ouch!
Street & Co. - Fresh sea food, nice, well-thought out wine list. ($$)
Boda: A very Thai Kitchen - The BEST I’ve had since I was in Thailand about 10 years ago; basic wine list. ($)
Miyake - The best Sushi I’ve ever had…even better than what I got in Okinawa. Worth the coin for one trip ($$$)

Glenn,
My personal favorites in Portland were Andina and Paley’s Place.