Nashville and Surrounding area Eats?????

Thanks. Looks great and it is open on Monday for lunch.

Adam - Thanks. Had a really nice lunch at Butchertown. Very good looking space and high quality food.

Robert…Glad you enjoyed it. I was there last week and they’ve changed some of their sides. Now…for the big question…were you able to find a hotel room for under $200? A friend is coming to town in a couple weeks for the Titans-Dolphins game and is paying north of $350 for an Embassy Suites. Everything downtown was sold out or north of $500. He asked me if something was going on in town…nope, we just have a ton of people coming here for bachelor/ette parties and what not and an extreme shortage of rooms.

Where’d you go for dinner?

I thought the Omni would add enough room inventory to make things a little more reasonable!

I was in and out in one day. I did notice the flights have been full on both my recent trips. I do love that it is a really easy town to get an Uber. I really want to come back for a weekend, I guess I will have to plan ahead for the hotel room.

Bump…

Spent a few days in Nashville last week and though I would report back. Our first night we went to Etch. We really enjoyed the meal. I had the pork belly app and the wife had the venison main and I had the lamb. They mix a lot of flavors on the plate and I suppose some might find that over-whelming or over the top. The service was outstanding; friendly and informed about the menu. Great place and in our top three favorites in the city along with Catbird Seat (more on that later) and Lockeland Table. We will definitely return. Great location for us as we were seeing The Last Waltz at The Ryman and everything was walkable. Corkage is $25.00 IIRC.

Martin’s BBQ Joint. The wife loves, loves BBQ and we had a great lunch there. Again, very convenient to where we were staying. I had the pulled pork and she had the brisket and both were great.

Catbird Seat. We had a couple of hiccups here. For those that don’t know, guests sit at a bar that surrounds the small open “kitchen”. So, you get to see everything being prepared. There are several chefs who prepare and present the dishes. There is a beverage person, somm I suppose, and another server. So, it is an interesting concept and if you’re into cooking, a fun place to eat. They have two seatings and we were at the first.

Our Uber driver’s GPS took us to Husk. We called Catbird Seat and told them we would be late and why and they said that this has happened several times before. They told us to put in another address and the GPS would be correct. They might want to put something on the site or tell you when you make the ressie but whatever. So, they were visibly pissed when we were late and that’s o.k., to a degree, but we got caught up with the rest of the diners.

The one issue we had was when my wife made the reservation she told them no uni. Zero. Full stop. She would skip the course and be fine with that. She spoke to a person and made it clear. Then she reminded them again when she confirmed (left a message on their machine). So it was a bit of surprised when the chef presented us with a course with uni. My wife just gave him a horrified look and he said, “Oh, you were the customer who said no uni”. Now this was their fault. He took that course away and they basically subbed the same course with no uni which, again, was fine. But the chef presenting the course (head chef I believe) served this up with too much attitude; he was visibly upset. I don’t know if he was mad at us or at himself for making what was clearly his mistake but it made for an uncomfortable few moments; indeed, an uncomfortable course.

So, we still love Catbird Seat but, we got the impression that they are a bit full of themselves. Other than the uni issue the meal was flawless, the remainder of the staff were excellent, even enjoyed the beverage (wine, beer & saki) pairings and we usually don’t do pairings. But, since we were late, to speed things up, we just went with the pairings. We’ll definitely go back but we won’t rush back, either. Still one of our favorites but it isn’t head and shoulders above our other favorites anymore.

JD

Thanks for the write up. I happened to be in Nashville last week as well but didn’t have much chance to enjoy great food. I had a brief break so I hit an old favorite, City House, and just sat a the pizza bar.

I still have not made it to Catbird. Sounds like it was terrific but not sure I would have been as gracious as you and your wife, considering their attitude.

Jason

Love City House, too. Its been a while though. After being in retail for 29 years, my wife and I both likely have more patience than necessary. It wasn’t until after dinner on the ride back to the hotel when my wife said, “did you notice the attitude”? Which of course I did. Not a deal breaker for a return its just there are a lot of choices in Nashville, sans 'tude.

JD

just to the left of 400 Degrees is a great Cajun place–ate there while waiting for my chicken! Second Hattie B’s also.

Headed to Nashville for a wedding - have 2 days before the event Saturday. Have resy’s at the Treehouse and 5th and Taylor. Anyone been?- Treehouse suggested by a board member and 5th and Taylor by a local.

Plan on Pinewood Social for a cocktail before dinner.

Also- curious on the hot chicken thing. Not a heat spice person- but figure I have to check it out. Hattie B’s or Prince?

Thanks!

Personally I enjoy both. IMO Hattie B’s does a better job of cooking the chicken. BUT, if you have the time, because it is not fast at least at the original location, you need to go to Prince’s. It is where it was invented. And it is an experience. And if you are telling someone you have only had Nashville Hot Chicken once, you are gonna want it to be Prince’s.

If Prince’s is too much work, I would say 400 Degrees since it is probably the closest to Prince’s. Just get the mild version and you will be fine.

Or do Hot Fish at Bolton’s.

72xXxV9qIPg

Cheers,

Jason

Jay…I haven’t been to the new 400 location, but it is my favorite…and I go for 200 level. Second favorite is Boltons in East Nashville. Not a fan of Hatties…feels too commercial and nowhere as good as others IMO.

BTW, anyone else in Nashville in August for the total solar eclipse (best place in the USA to watch)?

Thanks for the tips$

We’ll be about 90 miles away on top of a mountain hoping for clear weather!

Back from Nashville- really had a great time.

After a long somewhat miserable drive in the rain- we made our first stop at Hattie B’s. I am a wimp- and had watched the Boudain episode from Nashville and he complained of having some intestinal issues after the really hot chicken- so went with the mild. Had just a little kick- but would try the medium next time. We ordered the 2 piece white and 2 piece dark- comes with a couple sides- the greens were the standout.

Had dinner in East Nashville- went for a cocktail at Holland House before dinner- quite good and the bartender was great. Cool room with a good vibe. Dinner at the Treehouse- which was underwhelming. The beet salad and blood sausage were the best of the 6 things we tried.

Friday we met some friends for drinks at Pinewood Social- was ok. Service was not great. Dinner that night at 5th and Taylor- which was quite good. Great service. Halibut collar as an app was great. They have a $25 corkage but ordered off the list.

Saturday morning went to Biscuit Love on a couple recommendations- crazy line at 10am on a Saturday morning. I am not one for lines- but sucked it up and waited about an hour. Had the East Nasty- wow was really good. Boneless fried chicken thigh on a biscuit with aged cheddar smothered in the sausage gravy. Also the Bonuts- might have been the best bite of the weekend.

Nashville is quite a town- the people were great. But funny- all the wait people, bartenders etc were all from somewhere else. Looking forward to another visit.

Bump.

Are there any restaurants in Nashville with a decent vegetarian menu?

The Catbird Seat (#10 on OAD’s Top 100 US restaurants list) does a vegetarian tasting menu. I haven’t had it, but the non-vegetarian menu is fantastic.

Thx Kevin!

fwiw, i was in Nashville last weekend. Went to 3 hot chicken places: Hattie B’s, Prince’s and Bolton’s Hot Chicken and Fish. (IMO, the best fried chicken I ate last weekend was at Monell’s,the southern, homestyle, family dining place (3 of them, I think). By far the tastiest chicken we ate all weekend…and the juiciest. Amazing deal: like $15 for Saturday lunch). As for the “hot chicken” places, they are all different…and IMO, somewhat of a gimmick,as they can mask the quality-- good or bad-- of the fried chicken focus on the heat level more than anything else.

My impressions: Hattie B’s, modern, clean, efficient…good food; no “down home” feel to it really; had the best side of the weekend: black-eyed pea salad. (They all use frozen french fries. Prince’s was in a scary neigborhood with a crowd mixed with locals and tourists. Not as efficient as Hattie B’s…but fun to share tables with strangers. The heat levels here are the highest (the “hot” at Prince’s was hotter than the hottest at Hattie B’s (and made our adult son ill newhere . So, beware. The locals were ordering “mild”. The heat here is pastier. Bolton’s was good, too…their 'heat" is more like sprinkled on dry rub, seemingly cayenne and paprika. I ordered breast quarters at all of them…and the breast seemed dry or overcooked at all of them…though not bad. (I’d guess it was previously frozen.)

Interesting local specialty…but , to me, mainly a novelty. As I said there is much better fried chicken and sides to be had in Nashville.

Glad we went, though.