Name this wine & beer bar...

I do agree with the sentiments about a French name probably being a mistake in SW Minn. Itā€™s unfortunately that it has as much to with anti-French sentiment in this country, which has been flamed noticeably in the past decade, as with being a difficult name to understand or pronounce. You notice no one has a problem with a major food chain named ā€œChipotleā€.

Well then the only name left would be the Frow-Maggie Cressant. Or abbreviated: FroMo.

Fromage!

Seriously, Good luck Thomas.

The Cow Tippler?

Bruce

Turned in the business plan last Saturday with the name - THE ABBEY - They didnā€™t like the name - but in a meeting a few minutes ago - I popped this thread up - and they loved THE COW TIPPLER -

They are still laughing and thinking about the marketing capabilities of it -

I like it too - the logo would be fun to design -

Donā€™t know anything about Marshall MN, so I checked it out online. How about The Lyons Den, since it is in Lyons County?

I really donā€™t want to sound like Iā€™m taking shots at either Bruce or MN, but my oh-so-humble opinion is that The Cow Tippler is possibly the worst name for a wine bar Iā€™ve ever heard in my life. Must be one of those ā€˜you have to be thereā€™ things. Andā€¦ I DO know what ā€˜cow tippingā€™ is.

[snort.gif] [scratch.gif]

Late to the game, but throwing in my opinions:

-Agree beer sales will far outpace wine sales. What I usually witness in similar places has been that beer pulls in folks, and the great wine selection is a delighter for those into wine or who prefer it to beerā€“but wine doesnā€™t create the initial visit.

-My view of promotions: cheap beer > cheap food > cheap wine > featured music

-French name should be a no go; does more harm than good. Iā€™d suggest something that speaks more to the beer side or gives an essence of the environment/place. A play on the street name or the ownerā€™s name is always a decent route, as that automatically gives a sense of place or personality (especially if those owners occasionally visit).

-Big key will be a menu that educates. Nobody likes to feel like an idiot because they donā€™t know a saison from an IPA or what a Malbec will taste like. The staff is obviously integral in this education as well. Free tastes are your friend as you try to become a place that encourages exploration.

No experience in opening a bar, but I am a 25 yr old guy who graduated college from / grew up in rural Ohio. Would my buddies be intrigued by Le Maison du biere? No. Would they be happy to check out The Cow Tippler or The Maple Street Drinkery or Smithā€™s Drink House? You betcha.

hops & vine?

suds & juice?

i remember a really cool live music spot in cincy back in the day called sudsy malones ā€“ it was a laundromat that had live music acts and a really cool beer menu. i still love that name but have no idea whether the bar is still open or not.

brew cru

Verve

or how aboutā€¦

Merci Beercoup