Name this wine & beer bar...

You could make some connections between Southwest Minnesota and Southwest France. A few options might be…

Sud-Ouest
Dordogne
Gascogne
Aquitaine

Otherwise, I also like the idea of a simple french name for it, something like

Vin et Biere
Barre de vin

Just a few thoughts.

I like it Mikey - I like it - the Sud Ouest Cafe - The locals can call it “da sud” -

which will happen only if the place catches on — popularity and success come first, then come the nickname(s).

Brian is usually right about everything in my experience. :slight_smile:

Everything I’ve read, and my experience talking with the 20-30 year olds who are my customer and who I’ve met at trade events tells me that a French name is a huge mistake.

I’d recommend shit canning everything us old farts tell you and spend tonight hanging out at a pizza and beer place or a coffee house in that town asking the kids what they think a good name is.

This is a great idea! I, too, believe a French name would doom this place from the get-go.

Los Angeles has a few “hip” wine bars called “Bottlerock.” They seem to do well, and the clientele is usually a bit on the younger side (think late 20’s - young 40’s). They have a great wine list, great prices, and will open any bottle from their “bottle” list if you buy two glasses of it. They usually have 4-5 good beers on tap, too. Great business model, imo, and they’ve succeeded with a very “pedestrian” non-French name. I’d suggest having the owners of this new joint check-out Bottlerock’s website.

Rock and Roll Wine would be another good resource:

http://www.rnrwine.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris Hammond is a genius at getting 20 somethings to wine events. I can’t ever remember him using a French term in any piece of promotion he’s put out.

I opened a wine & beer shop downtown Long Beach years ago and called it VIN DE PAYS - very few people could pronounce the name - but traffic numbers were great right off the bat and it became a big success -

The only alternative in a 60 mile radius of the city is an Applebys - there are a couple local bars - but they are burgers and budweiser - the kids will find this pretty easily -

And this is the country - you have to have a “fancy” name to let people know you are different -

AND -

My model for this place is DIE BIER KONIG in Amsterdam - the coolest Beer bar I have ever been too - Very psychedelic vibe - always the coolest music - hundreds of beers by the bottle - a special glass for each one -

A couple finalists so far -

THE SUD CAFE

THE ABBEY (I like this one) -

THE TRAPPISTE CAFE

L’IMAGINARIUM - A beer and wine cafe
This is actually the name of a bubbly bar in Beaune -

I GOT YOUR FREAKIN BEER & WINE RIGHT HERE BITCH CAFE

LOL. Thomas, downtown LB does not equal Marshall, MN.

I could see college kids in the area actively avoiding the wine bar if it has a pretentious or hard-to-pronounce name out of fear of being ridiculed by their peers. Even a “city boy” like me, from Eagan, catches flack from some of my MN friends for my love of wine – it’s not viewed as being “cool,” and most younger folks in MN (that I’ve met) are rather intimidated by wine; now that I think about it, this also holds true for most older folks in MN (that I’ve met). Most, if not all, of my family members would faint if they found out how much money my wife and I spend on wine – both total, and per bottle average; that is my experience, and perhaps it is not typical, but I have no reason to believe it isn’t. In MN, I’ve worked at a Radio Shack, a Walmart, a small family-owned Italian restaurant, a construction company, on a loading dock at a trucking company, (and others I cannot remember): out of all those people I’ve worked with through the years, I seriously cannot think of ONE person who I would expect to have an interest in wine. I would expect that, as one moves further from the Twin Cities and into farm country, this phenomenon only intensifies.

I’m sure the college kids will find the place, regardless of what it is named, but the big question is: Will they return after they’ve been there once? There has to be some kind of “cool” factor, or “down to earth” factor to get them to return — and cheap prices.

fwiw (which might not be much at this point), I think “The Abbey” would be an excellent name; it doesn’t sound pretentious and it’s easy to pronounce.

I went to the library and thought on this a bit more…all my best thinking happens there.

The number one question I get asked, by a 20 to 1 margin, by people who are not serious wine geeks is:

“Do you stomp the grapes?”

That one 30 second clip on a single I Love Lucy episode defines wine for 90% of America.

How about: “The Grape Stomp” If it catches on the kids would start to call it ‘The Stomp’.

I like “The Abbey” as well - it’s the front runner right now - all the wines by the glass will be $5 or less - and all of the beers will be $3.50 to $4.25 a bottle - and I have a feeling that beer is going to dominate sales - most of the tap beer in town is $5 + a glass - even for Bud Light -

That’s f-ed up.

We had one here in Sacramento, near the Cordova Colf Course. It worked for awhile. [wink.gif]

I, too, would expect beer sales to lap wine sales many times over.

As for the $5 tap beer – even Bud Light --, as Paul put it, that’s fucked up!

You were at the library. Yeah. Right. neener

Cafe Vin Yard - this you have cafe for coffee, vin for wine & yard for a yard of ale

Java Stomp - coffee & Lucy & Ethel stomping grapes

Cafe Au Vin

How about:

(simply) La Barre.
Brews and Vins.
By the glass.
The Endless Pour.
Glug.
My Place.

Wow, that came out of the blue from the WWOW. A catchy name that covers it all. If you don’t want it, I think we’ll start selling coffee and change our too many words name.

Cafe Vin Yard - this you have cafe for coffee, vin for wine & yard for a yard of ale

+1

And not just because she can kill me while I’m sleeping, I like the name.

Geographically and functionally, you could call it

MInndakota Bistro

or

Bistro Tokota

I agree - I like this one!