My first Scarecrow

1. Past evidence indicates that Paul has horrible taste, so his Scarecrow comment is irrelevant. Brad Kane posted the same comment on the same bottle on Facebook, just in case you need any confirmation of the weakness of the opinion.
  2. 1991 Dunn HM, which I have had before, is a hundred year wine, which means it will be ready in 100 years. The '94 is a different story.

Did you feel that there was any residual sugar in that 2005? I got into a debate with someone about the 2005 Scarecrow a few years ago regarding the potential RS in their wine.

This is not some type of straw man argument is it?

oh f*ck that’s good.

Most excellent, good sir.

Indeed. We all clamored for the host to open it as none of us at the dinner had tried it and it was universally panned. Undrinkable was the collective opinion, but, then, we all have Euro-centric palates.

I didn’t love the Dunn, either, though I never find those wines to come around, save for the '84 Napa, which I’ve liked.

Thank you Paul, guess this just proves again there are two types of wine drinkers, old school and new. Oh then there’s Jeff Leve who can hand out 97 point ratings to a 03 Cos and 89 LMHB at the same time. Must be nice.

I feel sorry for those with narrow palates who only like old school or new school an can’t appreciate both.

I think there are many of us (I’d like to think most of us) who aren’t just one or the other.

That’s not to say it’s not fine to choose only to drink certain countries or styles or varietals – it’s totally up to you, and you should do whatever you want. But I think most wine lovers, while having preferences and opinions, appreciate the diversity and variety of wine and enjoy great examples of wines in many styles and from many different grapes and regions. Certainly, most people I taste and drink with fall in that category.

Sorry, just a small omnivinovore digression. We return now to everyone bolstering their AFWE street cred. [cheers.gif]

Now there’s a brainy retort.

champagne.gif

Aged Dunn is godly…and I am a bordeaux guy

Like I said, must be nice.

I’ve had some lovely – and ready – Dunn Napa bottles from the 80’s and 90’s. The Howell Mountain has been a different story: I like the 87 Dunn HW but it is too young still and I enjoyed an excellent bottle of the 93 Dunn HW which was young but accessible, but my one try of the 85 HW was hard as nails and showed little fruit (which I think was there, just masked).

But does it have courage and heart?

Paul, did you fly into the winery by helicopter to obtain the bottle? If not that could explain your experience - after all wine is all about the experience.

On another note I was at my sisters house Sat night and one of her friends was telling us a story about a family friend - Dick Grace of Grace Family Vineyards. I jokingly asked my brother in law if he had any of their wines in his mostly new world cellar. He disappeared and reappeared with a 2005 Estate Cab - have to admit I was mildly excited to try it since I have very little experience with Cali Cults. Underwhelmed was my experience - not overblown or over the top but just nothing really special. We decanted and did not improve much.

Toto-ly

Is a Dunn ever fully ready? The balance was there between fruit, acid and tannins. I think last one I had some years ago was still very tannic. So very nice now but you walk away thinking that it will open up to reveal more depth and complexity down the road. I don’t know if that will happen but it’s what I sense most of the time with Dunn.[/quote]

I have a 91 Dunn. Any decanting advice?

Brilliant.

Decant in ten years and hope the structure has subsided enough to show the fruit.

My general rule (formulated only about 5 years ago) is 25 years for Napa and 30 years for Howell Mountain.

Which is not to say that they can’t be enjoyed younger. Had a very good '93 HM earlier this year.