Most Underrated AVA in California

I agree.

One way of looking at it is that the To-Kalon vineyard has more planted acres than the entire Chalone AVA!

Chalone is easily the most isolated and least visited of these AVA’s. The only people who might pass through the area are on their way to the Pinnacles NP, as there is pretty much nothing else out there.

That’s the AVA I voted for in this poll.

underrated and under the radar … Sierra Foothills … [cheers.gif]

I voted for Chalone, as I really dig the Copain Brosseau syrah that has been a part of my cellar now for almost 10 years. That wine for me rings true for everything I dig about syrah.

I do have a special fondness for SLH syrah, and have enjoyed Rosella’s and Susan’s Hill for going on close to 15 years now but I know the area gets attention, not though like Chalone deserves.

One recently read article on Santa Clara County winemaking/grape growing:

• “Wine story: Oldest wine region in California is here in South County” by Marty Cheek (2014)

Sierra Foothills - Syrah
Santa Lucia Highlands - best Pinot QPR in CA

That’s unexpected, but thanks for the tip. :astonished:

Totally agree! The Syrah coming out of Auburn (ex Pruett) can compete with any Syrah in CA. Once more money and wine experience come to these hills, there will be a gold rush!

I would also throw in Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard Bates Ranch cab and Ahlgren (RIP) Bates Ranch cab as wines that age great.

Oh and Kathryn Kennedy Winery for fantastic cab that ages beautifully.

Sean,

A big ‘plus 1’ on the Bates Ranch Cabs from Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard and Ahlgren…

I had (and IIRC posted on) a 1979 from SCMV about a month ago, cost me (again IIRC) $165 from a restaurant list, a place that bought it on release and cellared it at 50 degrees. Very great wine.

Silver Mountain Vineyard is now also making Bates Ranch Cabernet, fully worthy, reasonable priced (especially compared to anything out of Napa Valley) and available.

The only reason I didn’t mention these in the first place was because Ridge and Mount Eden are the most easily found of all of the Santa Cruz Mountain producers.

And I’ll be posting soon on a couple of Mount Eden Chardonnays I enjoyed over the weekend.

Dan Kravitz

An AVA with Rhys, Ridge and Mount Eden is hard to miss! It is well appreciated.

But not underrated. [basic-smile.gif]

I still don’t understand how world class Cabernet and world class Pinot can be grown at vineyards only two miles apart. Are the SCM the only place in the world where this happens?

Different tectonic plates?

This is pretty amazing. The two properties are within eyesight of one another.

And they are at the same elevation. I’m guessing the difference has to be how soon the fog burns off or rolls in, maybe Kevin Harvey can shed some light?

Peter,
Monte Bello is about 2 miles further from the ocean than our Skyline vineyard. To put that in perspective, the difference in annual mean temperature between Bordeaux and Burgundy is about 1C degree through the growing season.

Another SCM Cab producer to look out for is House Family Vineyards. Their estate vineyard is between Mount Eden and Kathryn Kennedy. Jeffery Patterson is the consulting wine maker. Really great Cabs that I’m sure will age well.

Thanks to Kevin for the reply. I don’t think it’s an overstatement to say that he knows as much about this as anybody.

Elevation, distance from the ocean, soil, aspect… there are vineyards in the Santa Cruz Mountains that from elevation and ocean distance would seem to be warmer, but are sheltered from the sun, thus cooler. Others that are higher and closer to the ocean but exposed to long hours of sun might be warmer. There are soils that absorb heat, soils that reflect heat. It really is a fantastically complex patchwork of microclimates and terroirs. I am so glad that Masson, Ray, Bennion, Draper, Patterson, now Kevin Harvey and countless others have done and are doing the amazingly hard work it takes to make wine here.

Notes to follow soon on last weekend’s wines, including '07 Mount Eden Saratoga Chardonnay and '05 Mount Eden Estate Chardonnay. I needed something to accompany the lobsters.

Dan Kravitz