Most Underrated AVA in California

[worship.gif] [worship.gif] [worship.gif]

+1
These and several other AVAs are producing great wines of relative obscurity to the rest of the world, so are far more underrated then any of the fairly well know areas listed above. So I would vote Other if it were a choice.

Forgot about Flywheel and Naylor. I don’t believe Loring gets it anymore. Not sure whether Cellars 33 still gets Brosseau either.

Larry, you are taking two bites from the cherry here. Many of these wineries are in the Santa Rita Hills, or maybe the poll is flawed and Santa Barbara County should be split up into Santa Maria, Los Alamos, Santa Ynez etc etc

And if you are going to list great Pinot producers in the SRH, how about Arcadian, Loring, The Hilt, Lutum, Sea Smoke to name just a few? And by the way, Ojai is in Ventura County.

Peter,

I certainly know all of the producers that you’ve mentioned, and I’m aware that Ojai Vineyards has their production facility outside of the county. That said, Adam continues to get most of his fruit from within the county.

And yes, you’ve mentioned too many other producers. In all honesty, there are over 200 wineries in Santa Barbara County, so a potential list is nearly endless.

I would rather not have a sub Ava broken out but instead would suggest the county as a whole. But heck, that’s just my two cents :slight_smile:

Cheers

Given that the question isn’t which AVA is “best” or “most diverse” my vote goes to SCM, which gets almost no love outside the nerd webs. Ill bet most people associate Ridge Monte Bello with North Coast.

I think, by definition, the most underrated will not get the most votes as the most underrated…

And on that note, Duckhorn Wine Co. Buys Calera…

They must have been reading this post :wink:

Chalone is underrated and underutilized. The “old” Chalone winery demonstrated the potential years back.

Hardy and Ian nailed this IMO.

How many planted Acres of vines are there in the chalone AVA?

1. Arroyo Grande

2. Monterey*

*Listed second simply because it’s much better known than Arroyo Grande.

Totally right! But he probably means it’s more generally under-appreciated by the broader public, as opposed to we wine nerds.

Presumably.

Or maybe he means even on WB… but then you’d be right.

My reply was meant for WB, not for the broader public.

There are outstanding QPRs from Arroyo Grande, and Monterey has produced both QPRs and absolutely world-class wines.

See? And only a subregion of Monterey is an option (I wouldn’t call SLH underrated in the least). There have been kick-ass Cabs from Carmel Valley since the '70s. Same for Pinots and Chards from Arroyo Seco - and certainly other varieties are excelling there nowadays.

On this Board it is probably Napa. :wink:

Santa Barbara County- See Larry Schaffers list of producers to verify. Theres no equal in any of the other AVAs IMHO.

Larry
Chalone Estate ~280
Brosseau I think is 25-30
Rodnick (nee Antle, nee Graff) 20 ish
Michaud is 30-40 I think
Boer, Graff, Naylor about 10 between the three

Total: 370 acres +/-. Not large in acreage, but it bears saying that the top end of Chalone is on par with probably anything else on the west coast excepting Monte Bello in my experience in the winery and in the glass, so it’s not really size that matters.

Ian

+1

After reading this thread, I realized I had a 2010 Bailiwick Pinot Noir, so I popped it for tonight’s dinner of grilled chicken thighs with rosemary and sage. My recent experiences with the wines of the eponymous Chalone lead me to expect ripe cherries and vanilla. What I got was dusty fruit, good acidity, no apparent wood, and a general impression not unlike a good WV Pinot in a moderately ripe year. I’d drink this wine any time, and that is not something I’d say about 99% of California Pinot Noirs.

P Hickner

Santa Cruz Mountains has the most votes and no comments.

OK, so I’ll say it’s the best Appellation in California, not just the most underrated.

OK, you don’t agree.

So please do a blind tasting of 20 - 40 year old Cabernet Sauvignon from Mount Eden and/or Monte Bello against any other California Cabs.

So please also do a blind tasting of 10 - 30 year old Chardonnay from Mount Eden and/or Monte Bello against any other California Chards.

And those two are not the only producers to try. Just the easiest to find.

Dan Kravitz