More that a Poll- Explain Why You Buy Your Top Five Producers?

No, it wasn’t. A lot of US producers have been mentioned. On the board in general, there are lots of posts about US wines. I’m surprised that some people continue to buy into this fallacy.

Indeed. But you can also take that a step further. The wine I bought in 1990 was significantly different than what I bought in 2000 (and after), and that is largely a function of the internet. In terms of availability, pricing and information, nothing has been the same since.

Jaffurs
Best US QPR Syrahs going. Rich, balanced Santa Barbara SVD’s that taste good young and taste great old. All for usually around $45 ish or less.
Bedrock
Unique old vine field blends paying homage to California’s wine heritage. Not afraid to experiment. May be the best Cali winemaker today just based on breadth of work.
Carlisle
Best domestic Zin producer. Great QPR’s in most cases.
Saxum
Big, bold and expensive, but worth every penny.

There is a mish mash of dozens of other producers after that. We’ll keep it to my top four.

What percentage of your cellar is from outside where you live - in other words, outside California?

I agree. I have wines in my cellar from France, Italy, Germany and California, among other places. I bet most of the complainers have 90% of their wines from California or at least from the west coast. They cannot see beyond their noses and their comfort zones to try anything else.

Not buying that much now.

I bought Tremblay, but when prices went way up I stopped. Generally I am now getting premier cru Chablis to drink young, buy to fill gaps for tastings and also house wines, and am drinking my older cellared wines. I also the really fun and unusual, wines such as a cache of 1989/1990 Madirans.
The only wine I tend to buy every year is Dujac, which will overtake La Mission when I get my 2014s.

Again, age really comes into it. I should have bought more 2009 and 2010 Bordeaux, but they will be ready when I am 80+.

People believe what they want to believe.

Have the same problem. I think it’s because I simple don’t drink that much pinot noir, and they are at a price point which makes them ‘special’ wines. That said, it’s great that they provide the chance to get half-bottles.

I don’t really have a ‘Top-5’ list. There are a tier of producers I buy from, some consistently and every year I can, but they might not make up the ‘top-5’ billing.
For instance, Lapierre and Gonon I try to get nearly every vintage I can, but sometimes things get sold out, sometimes I don’t have the cash to participate, sometimes I never get the offers ‘secret list’. Some wines I used to buy consistently are now outside my comfort zone or budget, so are not going to be represented going forward.

I hate you.
[wow.gif]

I don’t think I can narrow it down to just 5. Just looking through my inventory list these are the ones I have a lot of (relatively). Many other producers, but in smaller quantities, because (as Greg says) wines I’d love to have more of are expensive and harder to find. But I’d trade cellars with Jeb, no problem [cheers.gif]

Allemand
Alzinger
Copain
Henri Boillot
Bouchard
Faiveley
Fevre
Huet
Lagier Meredith
Peay
Rhys
Ridge Monte Bello
Tempier
Trimbach

I agree there are lots of posts of US wines. You missed my point or did not understand it. When I made the point (and I was talking about this very imperfect poll), there were more than 15 European wines, compared to five California wines, that comprised the top five producers in the respondents’ cellars. Even through all of the posts, the European producers outnumber the US producers by more than 4:1, and again the post is supposed to be about what comprises the top five producers in the cellar. And when I say dominate, my top six producers comprise roughly 390 bottles (about 50%) of my cellar. Am I to presume that most people have such diverse cellars that their top producers do not comprise at least a significant proportion of their collection - or at least give a view of what the rest of their cellar composition may look like? I would be fairly certain that those whose top five producers by volume are European have a relatively small percentage of US wines, and conversely, those whose top five producers by volume are Californian, have few Europeans (as a percentage).

Well, I think the latter part of your last statement is certainly true - folks who have all-Californian top 5’s don’t tend to buy anything else in volume - and you are a great example of that. In your 800+ bottle collection, how many non-California wines? 10? Less?

Back to the topic - my top five producers are Produttori, Felsina, Brovia, Giacomo Conterno and Patricia Green, and they comprise 21% of my cellar. I like Italian wines, but they also tend to distort the statistics because Nebbiolo-based wines are by definition long-aging - for example, the average vintage of my Produttori wines is 2003, and the average vintage of the Conterno’s is 1999.

So how did PGC sneak in there - that’s definitely the influence of the Board (and Rich Trimpi [cheers.gif] ).

After 30-ish posts in this thread I’m not sure there’s many conclusions that can be drawn beyond:

1. People who initially posted have a preference for European wines (but those people represent like .1% of the people posting on WB)
  2. We will argue about anything.

You can presume all you want and you would probably be wrong.

Bob, I didn’t see that one coming!

Yeah, I was surprised myself. In full disclosure, places 6 through 9 are all Italian winemakers, so PGC is my only non-Italian wine in my top nine holdings. And their positioning is certainly “aided & abetted” by my purchases of the Berserker’s Cuvee release (although I do own quite a few of their other wines as well).

Understand the issue. I did not buy any 2009 or 2010 Bordeaux for that reason (although I did buy a bit of 2014 (Ducru) and 2015 (1/2 bottles that hopefully will be ready to drink younger). I have tried a bit to backfill with 2001s and 2005s.

[thankyou.gif]

Falls in the category of trust yourself, not winewriters.

It is funny, but my top five comprise almost the same percentage as yours do - 21.2%. I think some people just get on a few mailing lists, are happy drinking the same wine over and over again and are not that curious. There really are a lot of wonderful wines out there from all over the world if one looks for them. I would think most people who like California Cabernet, Syrah or Zin would love Produttori for example, and would save a fortune buying that.

I have about 100 bottles of US wines in my cellar, over half of which are either Ridge (8th overall in my cellar) or Chateau Montelena (14th).

I am not sure why some people are bothered so much by others buying European wines. Let everyone drink what they like.

Now this is an eclectic list. Five different regions. Totally different wines. I mean, I think of Jouan as a very elegant producer (how did you get to Jouan - usually someone like him comes later in Burg buying) and then Gonon makes a much more powerful wine.
[dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif] [dance-clap.gif]