Mike on Mini-Tour--April 15 in Chicago---under $50 Red Burg

Sorry I was crazy busy today and didn’t have time to phone in the reservation. We might be able to grab the two nice tables for six if we can muster 11 or 12 people. Also worth noting, their stemware is serviceable but not ideal for smelling and swirling wine. You’ll definitely want to bring your own stem if generic wine glasses are not to your liking. Also, their menu changes on a weekly basis. I was able to snap a few pictures of the menu and my food to give a feel for what one might expect.
image.jpg
image.jpg

3 Course meals are only $25 on Tuesdays. Prices will be a bit more expensive on weekends but still very reasonable.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I haven’t placed the reservation yet. I’m up for any restaurant if another place is preferred. Please let me know as there’s a general lack of communication. Again, I don’t have my heart set on any particular place. The venue that is preferred/works best for most people is probably the way to go.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking the lead on this and doing all this research. FWIW, this place is totally fine with me. Probably better food somewhere in Chicago, but it looks totally fine. (I thought it was where other folks originally wanted to go.) As far as I’m concerned you should just book the table,but maybe Mike himself (or Matt) have other ideas.

No worries. I’m up for whatever restaurant works best. I merely threw out Bistro Dre as a suggestion for free corkage with no bottle limit. As long as the check is in line with the $40ish wine, I’m as happy as a clam.

[cheers.gif]

I certainly don’t—masquerading as Stranger in a strange land. I guess the only proviso is that I don’t want something way out in Decatur or something like that :slight_smile:

I have pulled the 02 Beaune Boucherottes as the primary choice for sharing.

Mike

I’m thinking of bringing a white and a red burg, or should I just bring a red?

Hehe–would a white starter offend anyone? Certainly not me! [grin.gif]

But we’re continuing a theme with this group where they did under $50 white burgs last time, IIRC. Ergo red burgs are the call, I think. Mark?

So glad you’re able to join us, Ed—it will be good to get some talk time separate from the sound and fury of Pinot Days. :wink:

Mike

Excited to meet everyone (glad Ed can join us),

But have we actually got a venue and a reservation somewhere, Mike?

Mark’s place, Bistro Dre, still seems fine with me; but if it is elsewhere, it would be good to know (as I will change where I am staying).

I’ll phone in a reservation this afternoon. If we change restaurants, I can always cancel the res with a 24 hour notice.

Great, Mark,

Thanks! I look forward to meeting you and drinking some red burg!

Best,
Josh

Bistro dre certainly works for me. I am looking forward to going back there, it’s been a few years. Right in my neighborhood too.

No clue on what ill be bringing yet!

Is there room for me to invite my friend Joe? He used to sell my wines in Chicago, great guy.

I can’t speak for Mike, but I certainly don’t see a problem. :slight_smile:

Likewise!

I went to Bistro Dre this weekend and had a fine meal. The portions are huge, so take heed of the restaurants recommendation to share.

Also, you may want to bring your own stemware. The glasses provided left a lot to be desired.

You have to admit they’re the quintessential “jug wine” stems.

[snort.gif]

I’ll definitely be bringing a few extra Burg stems to share.

Yes, bring stems.

Great place. Great food. Great service. Stems suck.

So if someone can bring a couple for me, much appreciated. Ed, absolutely, I’d say, I think we have room (you just want an excuse to bring the white burg, don’t you? :slight_smile: )

BTW had an absolutely marvelous 2007 Jadot Chassagne Grands Ruchottes with some close friends tonight. Sparkled.

I’m bringing a 2008 C-M Chenevottes from Bouard-Bonnefoy for a white and a 2003 Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses for a red. I’ll find out what my friend Joe is bringing.