Mighty Nice

Tonight we joined generous friends for dinner at a local restaurant. We had not been before but we knew a woman who worked there for going on twenty years and were so happy to see her again. Sarah is one of those people that you meet and realize she is one of yours. And whether you see her weekly or once in three years, she’s family. It was a grand reunion.

Dinner was also delightful but the wines stole the show.

Our aperitif glass was 2018 Domaine Gros Frere et Soeur, Clos de Vougeot - more nuanced and slimmer than expected but silky and intense.

With appetizers the 2019 Raveneau, Montee de Tonnerre was an ever evolving glass of great Chablis; it is becoming more than it is - and our hosts had not tried it before. They liked it a lot.
They were not alone.

Next was the 2020 La Pousse d’Or, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses; fantastic nose - all Chambolle - with lovely textures and smokey, rose petal infused fruit. Joyful wine with a killer nose.

And after dinner, we chatted over a 2015 Knoll, Durnsteiner Riesling Smaragd, which was at first a bit screechy but opened to charm even the least appreciative.

I don’t often get to help choose from a good wine list without concern for price, but when I do, it’s so much fun.

Rachel and Jason are great folks, even if we’re just eating take out and pulling from our cellars. But when they decide its party time, who am I to say no?

10 Likes