Maison Ilan deliveries

I understand it, perfectly. She is into immediate gratification, plain and simple.

Whoa, come on now. She was requesting communication, not wines, specifically. She, and many others, including commercial establishments, have not received what communication most would feel is deserved, and/or professional. Do those who complain about Premier Cru futures desire ‘immediate gratification’? How about the buyers of Hospice du Beaune who are still awaiting both product and word?

It’s a legitimate complaint, so don’t be so presumptuous.

Disclosure: Suzanne is a good friend of mine, so my opinion may or not be biased as a result

I have to agree with Todd’s assessment. Look most of us here work and have “customers” (customer can also mean your boss, your team, etc). What do they care about? Timely, quality deliverables and communication regarding deliverables.

Playing devil’s advocate here, Ray’s last public email to purchasers regarding 2011 bottling was at the end of March. In my one and only email to him regarding the 2011s in early June he said “quite soon”. If this were a different type of business and different business owner, what would the Berserker response be?

Personally, I don’t mind waiting, but others may be satisfied if a more regular update would be sent out instead of radio silence that requires prompting.

What?!? Are you implying St. Ray isn’t perfect?!?!? Who do you think you are?!?!?!?!?! [snort.gif]

Did you understand the original post?

Your original post dealt with communication issues, and that one seemed perfectly reasonable. All businesses should strive to communicate quickly and truthfully with their clients. But your second post only dealt with a delivery date. “Late in '09, Late in '10 and Late in '11”. So my response was to your post where you implied that there’s a specific date when the wine should arrive. My choice would always be to have the wine arrive when the artisinal producer deems it ready to be bottled and delivered. If people want a manufactured product that comes off an assembly line, there are plenty of alternatives, no?

Say what you will about everything else in this thread, this is about the most awesome basement I have ever seen.

Ray, take your time bud. The wines are either going to sit in your cellar or they are going to sit in mine.

I think she meant that a date was told it would be delivered, or at least an approximate time and it’s been late each time. I think Mr. Wun spoke on it a little as well. He sent Ray an email in june that said “quite soon” but they are still in barrel 4 months later. I think her post was perfectly reasonable. Just as every post here is reasonable just from different perspectives.

If you like seeing Ray’s new basement cellar, you should check out Abbaye de la Bussiere. A beautiful spot to stay albeit a half an hour from Beaune, the abbaye is quite spectacular with a one star Michelin restaurant.

Todd,
That is fine I don’t know her and just very reading her comments, which I found slightly rude, and going from there, I do believe that in one of her posts she is wanting a wine to drink before it closes down.

There are probably a bunch of us, that have futures out there on this website, and waiting is part of the deal. I’m not going to defend Ray or his communication or lack there of, however sometimes it isn’t what you say, it is how you say it. Fair enough?

As a friend of Suzanne’s I can firmly say with full confidence that this statement couldn’t be further from the truth.

That is great, I’m glad you can say this with full confidence, however her posts could lead someone to surmise otherwise.

They could, but they really shouldn’t. Unless you mean immeidate gratification = prompt response. You should trust those that know her on this

Todd, you and I both know that we are not on good terms. Please don’t attempt to compare my situation with Premier Cru and the Hospice wines. It is clear that your intention in doing so is not unbiased or even fair.

Yikes. Sure is a funny thing to say. [cheers.gif]

Hello,
just to provide some factual info, here is a post I made on my public blog on September 11th:
http://blog.maison-ilan.com/2013/09/11/2011s-update/

2011s – update
Posted on September 11, 2013
Hello everyone

we are pleased to announce that our 2011s will be bottled/labeled (labels thankfully are already in hand(yes, capsules as well)) in inside of the 45 days. They will then be shipped to the warehouse in Beaune before being shipped to all destination points. We previously had plans to bottle around February, but with the weather being as it was, we opted to allow the wines more time in barrel. It is our thought to not rush the wines or to perform bottling inside of a period of rapidly changing weather. This is for many reasons, among which is a desire to not have a rush on what we are doing as well as providing some level of consistency during this moment of change for the wines.

We aren’t by any means naturalists or the type to follow strict timing on these things, but it seems best for wines that we hope will last for generations to not place them under any timing restrictions or haste. Adding to this, I am beginning to question more about the timing of release on my wines. The typical 18 months in barrel seems more of a result of wanting to free the cellar than anything else. We want the best for our wines and so we are searching for more cellar space to allow us the freedom to hold our wines longer in barrel. There are a few that have expressed an interest in receiving our wines quickly. To those I have apologized and hope that others will understand my motivations.

While I make it a point to never speak or put in writing my thoughts of my own wines I can say that the wines have enjoyed the extra time to rest. We are quite pleased with the results and are encouraged to continue with extended maturation in all used barrels.

Thank you for your patience

Cheers

Ray

Well, since folks are cozy with taking shots and defending what I believed to be a bit rude, let me be clear on something:
I produce wines, I love wines, I drink wines and obsess about wines more times in a day than I would like to admit. Some of you have noticed the time stamps on when I post. This might give folks a clue as to how much I love wine and try my best to communicate.

Here is the rub. I am someone that sacrifices a lot of time for wine during the year. This past week, if I wasn’t outside placing the wines in barrel, I was spending time with my family.

Now, let me ask you this, why in the World do I need to be ‘on’ 100% of the time and answer every single email within some predetermined time frame during arguably the busiest time of the year for us and any other winery? I’m active on a website so I need to be on some unreal time schedule?

How many other Burgundy producers are here on this site? Do you think every winery of my scale (one person operation) would have faster turnaround times for communication while they are placing their wines in barrel? Think they are answering website posts at 4am?

I have helped in the expectations for quick communication turn-around times by answering emails up until 1am. If folks want more than that I don’t know what to tell you. I am self-employed, trying to do the best for my clients. In short, if you can’t wait three days for a response regarding wines while I am busy placing wines in barrel during harvest, I’m not sure there is a proper way I can respond without pissing someone off…

Just to be clear - my comment was not intended as a cut at you, Ray. I fully appreciate the time you spend with us and how difficult it is to prioritize the demands that you have to deal with, and I always appreciate you prompt responses to my emails.

I was trying to address what I thought was the mischaracterization of Suzanne’s motives.

Thanks David, I appreciate that. I really don’t mind folks trying to take shots (not that you were), I just wanted to make sure folks understood the deal since I really am doing the best for my clients. I feel that if I believe something is in the best interest of my wines, it goes in the same thought that it is the best for my clients. To then go against this just to serve the interest of those wanting wines on a schedule, I feel that I would be cheating my clients (including those trying to rush me along) or intentionally working below my best. I don’t function that way.

Here is the thing, I planned for an earlier release time but I have had a shift in how I believe it best to take care of the wines of my clients.

I believe that the solution is to be far less active on this website and to focus communication in less places. It sure would make things easier to know that most communication leads are coming in through one or two paths instead of six (this site being one).

I work best on the phone. Sure, it costs a bit of money, more time, but at least I feel that misunderstandings would be far less likely.