LTB Magnums of 2012 SCREAMING EAGLE

I didn’t like the PC thread he started but I don’t see what is wrong with this model. He’s linking buyers and sellers. He makes a profit for that work. If the prices aren’t right things will work themselves out. There are lots of brokers out there doing this, they just haven’t appeared as Berserker Businesses.

simple solution- don’t sell wine at a discount. i will happily share my allocations at cost with friends, but if someone is a reseller, i am gonna get every damn dime out of them i can. if they have found some sucker at $6500, good for them. i won’t be that sucker though.

Low WS is $7950. If you are making a private sale, probably 15% below at least, and lower if you auction it. If you sell it outright to a store, maybe 35% lower. It’s not clear to me that the price was way off here.

on a bottle like screagle mags, i don’t think a 15% trim off W-S low is necessary at all. at $8000 retail in california, it is costing you $8700 after tax, so $8000 is a considerable savings for a private party purchaser. same with DRC RC- people are not selling at W-S low -15%.

Okay, be sure and let us know how it tastes when you drink it.

In the words of the great Rodney King

One on winebid currently for $5000 with a bid. If it sells at current price, $5750 to buyer (adding 15% vig), $4000 to seller (20% commission).

well, maybe william should buy his screagle mags off winebid. i don’t need to sell mine… i have plenty of money. i would sell if i got a great offer. $9000 is that great offer. anything less, and i will thoroughly enjoy it.

Wines are not high liquidity assets. You don’t run into people who buy SE every day.
He is simply the middle man here, if you can somehow ‘steal’ his list and convince them to buy from you, more power to you, but it is not that easy.

i guess you and i hang in different circles.

No need to guess, we do…

Just a random spectator here. neener

I’m not a big defender of Mr. Gladstone, but I don’t see the issue. There have been threads here where certain cult producers, of which SE is obviously one, have tried to kick people off their list for flipping. Many took the position that what you did with the wine after you bought it was none of the producer’s business. I am one of those people.

So I find it hard to understand the outrage when a willing buyer and a willing seller agree to a price, when the willing buyer clearly intends to resell the wine. He is taking some risk, and introducing a new buyer into the equation, one that the original seller probably doesn’t have access to. That’s capitalism.

ferrari is so gauche… i have better taste. as for buying the wine board- has todd french made it available for sale? perhaps if the price is right.

I figure this is a good thread to post this, and I hesitate to do this because I don’t like charity, but…

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with dilated cardiomyopathy. In simple terms, my heart is enlarged and weak. Alcohol can damage the already weakened heart cells so I’m not allowed to drink like I used to anymore. I basically get a glass of wine (ok, maybe a glass and a half!) only on special occasions…so I want to drink good wine. Screaming Eagle has always been, and I hate to use this expression, a bucket list wine. I cant bring myself to pay the secondary market price so if anyone has an allocation to share at cost, or even a slight markup or dinner on me, please let me know. There will be no flipping, just pure bliss as I sit back and toast to life.

where are you located? if you make it to SF any time, I am sure my family could find a good reason to open a bottle to share with you.

Thanks, Ariamali. I currently don’t had plans to be out there anytime soon but will be definitely let you know should that change. Thanks for your kindness.

my pleasure. hope your health improves for the better… life without a steady supply of wine is no fun.

Bump.

Gotta admit. Your signature line did give me a chuckle.