Love & Squalor

I second the appreciation for their riesling. only had it a few times but a ridiculous value for the price point.

Scott-I think you’re in Portland, and would recommend getting the 2014 Goodfellow WV Pinot Noir (it’s at Vinopolis) if you don’t have time to decant. It’s a restrained wine for 2014…but 2014 isn’t really a restrained vintage.
The 2013 (at Liner & Elsen) is leaner, beautiful red fruit, raspberry, pie cherry, and red currant. Tannins are present, as in red currants, so it’s a savory and salivary finish. It’s lighter bodied but in a decanter for an hour it’s a lovely, and affordable bottle of wine. More serious than it’s price tag implies by far(ditto the 2014).
The PCC cuvée in Seattle is bright red raspberry and a bit more acidic than the other two. I would definitely decant this and probably a few hours ahead of serving, but cellaring is the way to go with this wine. Good luck!

Just saw the 2015 WV bottling for PCC, again at $15/btl. Time to stock up Seattle board members!

Marcus, same fruit sources as the '14?

Thanks for the heads up, Scott!

Hold on a minute here! What’s this PCC thing that hands out $15 pinot made by Marcus??

If any of you are sitting on the Goodfellow '13 WV, try it again…it’s made some really great progress in the bottle over the last year.

Thanks Scott, I assume you mean the Fremont PCC? I’ll go check the West Seattle store soon regardless.

Yes, Fremont PCC.

Brandon, PCC is a local Seattle grocery store chain.

This Goodfellow guy is making some darn good wines, seems like I buy quite a few of both brands. [cheers.gif]

Scott, the 2015 is all sourced from Durant, Whistling Ridge, Bishop Creek, and Fir Crest Vineyards. Average vine age, even in this cuvée, is around 22 years, all the fruit is sustainably farmed without irrigation(even in 2015). Whole cluster ranges from 20-75%, and all of the wood was 2-3 fill barrique and 500L puncheon. Yeast is native, extraction is minimal. That said, 2015 is an intense and powerful vintage. There’s no arguing the heat we had, but the spikes throughout the growing season encouraged very thick skins on the fruit. Hardest punch downs ever, with 05 being second. The heat stalled the last week in August and we were able to get some very needed hang time, harvesting between Sept. 5th(Durant) and the 24th(Whistling Ridge and Fir Crest).

I did this cuvée again for PCC for exactly the same reasons as the previous vintage, although I expect there will not be a 2016 version as the cellar looks to be back to the normal number of barrels.

The 2015 is a denser, deeper version of this wine than the 2014. Typical of my wines in the early stages the muscle and sinew of the wine is dictating the expression, although the acidity is a touch less strident than the 14 was on release. It’s definitely one of the best QPR wines around as, IMO, 2015 is probably the best warmer vintage I have worked with. Density is off the charts and while this may only be $15, holding the wine for 5-10 years will offer lots of great experiences.

If anyone has the 2014 PCC cuvée still, it’s showing quite well at the moment. It’s added some layers and there is a nice harmony to the fruit/tannin/acid balance.

…and thank you Dennis and Brandon.

Thanks, Marcus. From the Vineyard sources and your description I expect this to be every bit the crazy QPR as the '14 bottling.

Was in a rush when I saw it the other night, but will grab a few bottles next time I’m in there. I recall the '14 sold out in a few weeks at the Fremont location and they had a lot!

They have it at the West Seattle PCC. Well, 2 less now.

Scott,
Please pick up a couple for me.

You got it!

Rick, you do know that my winery recognizes both Pilsner and Kolsch as forms of currency? :wink:

Scott, never mind…

But I accept Pils and any other HA beer as currency too! champagne.gif

No worries - more for me I guess.

Just grabbed a couple of Goodfellow at the View Ridge / Wedgwood PCC at $15 per. Thanks, Guys!

This is becoming a Goodfellow thread…

I just picked up 3 at the PCC by my work. I also have a case of the '15 Goodfellow WV “OPNC” pinot noir that was blended for “pinot guy Bob” at Oregonpinotnoir.com. I think I paid about $16 from him (it appears to be still available), and that wine was delivered to me about a month or so back. I may do a blind comparison of the two. Marcus probably has a preference between the two but being the all around good guy he is, and a shrewd business person, I doubt he will publicly pick a winner :slight_smile:

Marcus – any obvious ways those wine differ (sources, elevage, etc.)?

I do not understand why Marcus needs to make these out of the area sales trips. We can suck down his entire production. But then I just drank a '10 Olga Raffault les Picasses so I don’t know about that. Keep selling Marcus. [cheers.gif]

I popped one of the 2015 Goodfellow PCC cuvees today and it is a ridiculous steal at $15 bucks. Not overdone, just straight up correct and delicious WV Pinot. Go get some. I’m going back for more.