Lamy tell you about Olivier's '16's and '15's

Thanks Tom.

Blake, we had good to very good meals at Balthazars Keuken, Daalder and Worts Winecafe. We had a brilliant meal at Gebr Hartering.

Nice going Jeremy. I see Allemand getting a lot of air play.

Thanks Jeremy. Ive not been to a couple of these and hesitated to go back to Daalder since they changed ownership and I was not sure that is was still as good. I love Amsterdam and I like Colins idea of warming up for Paris in Paris.

They are getting harder to find Sanjay, so when I see them at a good price I can’t resist.

Blake, I had not dined at Daalder before. It was good but I perhaps wouldn’t race back.

The Japanese fusion scene is well and truly alive in Paris and we had splendid meals at Alliance and L’Archeste. Burgundy suits the food so well.

2011 Marc Colin et Fils Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly: Subtle and delicate with whiffs of white flowers, chalk, toast and citrus. It is compact and linear in the mouth but lacks no richness. There’s excellent rocky detail and outstanding cut.

2003 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Clos des Epeneaux: Kind of like a gateway wine between Bordeaux and Burg drinkers. It has plenty of leather and meat. The fruit is dark, brooding, sweet and intense. It is ripe but not overblown and there’s great intensity in the mouth. It has plenty of grip and chew and it is imposing without being over the top.

Heading to Paris next week and wondering where you had the Gramenon Pascal? Previously, I’ve had it at both Villaret and Severo. Back in the day, Villaret was one of the few restaurants in Paris that was really into Barthod, which I always found weird given the quality of the wines.

Hi Nathan. The Gramenon was from La Regalade.

We have arrived in Burgundy and settled into Chez Hall nicely. This place owned by fellow board member Anthony Hall is the perfect place to base oneself to explore Burgundy. Check out http://www.burgundyman.com
The deck has just been upgraded and we christened it with a bottle of Coche.

2012 Coche Dury Bourgogne: This was a much fresher bottle than one we had at Cagouille last week. It was bursting with sappy orchard fruits. There was some flint and good minerally structure. It had great shape and length is outstanding for its level.
DSCF8374.jpg

The weather seems to be better than 300 Miles in the east were I live (Border Alsace/Germany). Or isn´t this a current foto?

Jealous and wish we were there with you. ps - the bar stools have cushions as well - hunt them down.

We really need to stay there on our next visit.
Looks great Anthony

Jeremy, this description reminds me of Roty’s wines, which strike me as being more Bordeaux-like than Burgundy. Not my cup of tea, but I can see those new to Burgundy liking them. As always, it is great to wake up to your daily reports. Here’s to the remainder of your stay and adventures. [cheers.gif]

Jeremy likes the abuse

I was relieved to see that the hairy banana was a toy. The action described sounded like MiranK after drinking Keller. I suspect that the ‘helicopter’ would have been rather badly received.

Jeremy, warming up in Amsterdam for Paris and warming up in Paris for Burgundy. I like your style.

Cheers guys.

I’m not letting the hairy banana anywhere near a G-Max Kevin.

The photo was taken early this morning. Sun is out but weak. There are serious concerns for frost. I think Chablis got hit last night.

Pot d’Etain is about the right distance between Paris and Meursault to stop for a leisurely lunch and raid a few gems off one of the great wine lists of the world. The last time we did so, Colin got held up, due to circumstances beyond his control, and arrived 2 hours late. This time we all had money on the fact that he’d be there waiting for us when we got there, as you can generally set your watch by his on timeliness. He rang just as we arrived to apologise that he’d be half an hour late. I think the circumstances may have been more within his control this time.

Arriving half an hour late was a stroke of genius on his behalf. He skipped all of the fluffing around that one does at the start to oraganise a wine and we even chose what he was going to eat. He arrived just as a bottle of Coche and a delicious lobster salad hit the table. The 2011 Coche-Dury Meursault 1er Cru Caillerets is very youthful. It has some petrol and sappy orchard fruits. It is rich and unctuous in the mouth with Grand Cru weight and intensity. There’s real chalky structure and it has serious chew on the back-end. Brilliant but needs a decade in the cellar.

For main course we had 7 hour cooked lamb that required red wine. A bottle of 2012 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques was utterly sublime. Young but with exquisite balance and proportion. There are notes of cranberry, black cherry, violets, black earth and ginger. It is full, rich and creamy with great intensity yet it is light on its feet. Tannins are spherical and length superb.

I took my own advice regarding cheese and moved back to white wine to go with a splendid wedge of epoisse and some aged Comté. A 2010 Bernard Boisson-Vadot Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières was just the ticket. Classic Meursault with its slightly exotic fruit profile and rich and heady aromas and flavours. There’s some white flower action and a touch of apricot. It has a fruit-sweet heart and is cut by lively, minerally acidity.

This is a restaurant that is worth a detour but be warned, you cannot buy everything that is referenced on the list. There are super rare Roumier Musignys and Coche Corton-Charlemagnes that the owner sells at his discretion to whom he wants. You will not struggle finding something else to drink mind you.
DSCF8138.jpg

Jeremy,

Did you see my book at l’Ambassade de Bourgogne or La Cagouille?
It’s on sale at both places.

Khiem

So jealous! I was supposed to be there April 28th but unforeseen issues forced me to cancel. Have fun!

4 so far? [drinkers.gif]

[thumbs-up.gif]