Lamy tell you about Olivier's '16's and '15's

Ryan, I liked the '15 Gonon very much and will buy as much as I can for my own cellar. The '12 Reynard is very youthful. It should last decades but there is always bottle variation with these wines.

No Coche yet Mr Buzz but it will happen and 7 sounds about right.

We went a few years ago Thomas and weren’t deemed worthy. We picked over the already picked over bones of a wine list. I don’t feel inclined to go back.

Alan, it is best that my hairy banana remains out of sight of the general public.

Jeremy,
Thank you for posting on what reads like a wonderful trip. Photos also appreciated. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Nicos

had a bottle of the 15 gonon chasselas last week in paris and it was incredibly well balanced

Sorry to hear that. I went there a couple of times in the last 2 months and my experience started the same way but the owner then warmed up and got some very serious juice out for us (the highlight being a phenomenal Hubert Lignier Morey St Denis 1er Cru Vieilles Vignes 1996). I can see how it could have gone the other way, though. I’ve had a similar experience at le Pot d’Etain… and it’s true that if those places aren’t very protective of their gems then the lists quickly become uninteresting. Ah well.

1978 Hospices de Beaune Monthélie 1er Cru Cuvée Lebelin: Drinking beautifully. The nose is full of root vegetables, black earth and strawberries. The palate is silky. It has the sweetness of the vintage coupled with a spine of minerally acidity. It is balanced, ethereal and quite delicious. Absolutely over-delivers for what we paid for it.
DSCF7700.jpg
Colin suggested that I had underpaid by 100 euros. I headed back to Ambassade de Bourgogne with a 100 euros and came back with another one and 41 change.

Hey! Ambassade de Bourgogne is my private wine cellar. Stay out of there. [cheers.gif]

Colin’s bucket list.
DSCF7821.jpg
2013 Coche Dury Meursault stony, intense, piercing and rocky. So much chalky dry extract. 2010 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard. Elegant and pure. Delicious black fruits. Plenty of flora. Savoury and long with outstanding drive and length.

I got one of those 78 Hospice de Beaune wines from L’Ambassade (Savigny Cuvee Arthur Girard); also phenomenal value, fantastic wine.
Thanks for the posts; always fun to read!

le Villaret is fantastic

It was really nice of you to take your waiter’s feelings into account. [cheers.gif]

Unfortunately, Le Villaret is another one whose list has been hurt a bit.

Have they placed the 2014 Raveneau on the list yet?

Mark and Joshua. We have used Ambassade as our wine shop in Paris for a few years now. The owner is more of an Ambassade de Grumpiness though, he never smiles.

I love Villaret Art and Patrick. They had plenty of Raveneau at great prices. I don’t think there were any '14’s Patrick. The list may not be as deep as it once was but it’s still bloody good and the pricing right across the board is more than reasonable.

Just the kind of guy I am Howard.

A couple of beautiful bottles from Ghislaine Barthod and an excellent meal at Le Severo. The steak Hachette is killer and the côte de bœuf may be the best in Paris. Given that I’ve only had côte de bœuf in about 8 Parisian restaurants you can take my comment with a grain of fleur de sel if you like.

2013 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras: Discreet, cool nose of rocks, meat, red and black fruits and violets. It is detailed and chiseled in the mouth. You feel every rocky bump and there’s enough flesh from the sweet fruit to allow you to take a peek now without getting hurt. Needs time and there’s certainly plenty of potential here.

2010 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras: Quite an engaging nose of rose petal, smoke and black cherries. The palate has real sap and drive and a stony mineral base. It is deep and penetrating and the finish fans out. Still very youthful but thoroughly enjoyable.
DSCF7244.jpg
DSCF7256.jpg

Love those Barthods Jeremy! Les Cras is my favourite of her cuvées. Keep those reports coming.

Thanks, Howard

Thanks Howard. Someone really should give Ghislaine some Musigny to play with!

We first dined at L’Ourcine over a decade ago when the sous chef left Regalade to set up his own place. Not sure if it’s the same bloke behind the pots and pans but the food is bloody good. Cousin Lucy had just hit Paris, Lily was on the mend, Colin was in grand form so we all headed here for a leisurely Saturday lunch.

The wine list is not so good. We started with a 2011 Macon that hipster Somms of the world orgasm over. It was terrible. Colin thought it was an affront to bring such a thing to the table, citing it was like serving food riddled with salmonella. Lucy suggested it should have been drunk in 2010. I was much politer and drank it holding my nose. Our two reds for the day were much better. Our 2015 Marcel Lapierre Morgon was delicious. It had ripe red and black fruits. It was quite elegant smelling of fresh violets and lavender. There was a gentle meaty/muskiness to the wine. The palate was silky and tannins sweet and round. A 2015 Domaine Gilles Barge St. Joseph Clos Martinets was marked by its meaty reduction. It breathed up and had a core of black fruits. There was some dried herbs and liniment and a finish that was very savoury with baked earth flavours lingering once the wine was swallowed.

Food commenced with an excellent amuse of leek soup. Entrée for me was a superb mussel broth en croûte. Once you broke into the lid and stirred in pastry with broth, vegetables and mussels you ended up with a mélange of loveliness. Lucy and Lily’s chicken salad was served cold with fresh Spring vegetables. Tarragon was liberally strewn throughout and it was a dish of great vitality. Colin didn’t share his ravioli of spider crab. Must have been good. Heidi’s rock fish velouté burst with flavour.

Main course of rabbit for a couple of us was outstanding. Patrick has a sticky chop of pork belly that nearly glued his lips together. It didn’t quite as later during the meal he slid under the table and was making special comments during our conversation. Lucy’s onglet de veau with a shallot sauce was a classic partisan bistro dish, executed with great aplomb. Colin also didn’t share his scallops but was making noises of content.

For dessert, my pot de crème of chocolate and espresso flavours was beautiful. Lucy had one of the great desserts I’ve encountered. A sable with crème fraiche between the biscuits that had some poached pear studded through. Just delightful. Patrick had a quenelle of chocolate mousse with a quenelle of vanilla cream. Coffee is worth taking if you simply require more caffeine in your system.

Like La Regalade this is a proper French bistro not without its faults but well worth a visit.
DSCF7843.jpg
DSCF7870.jpg

Steak and Chambolle, nothing else on the list ?

Actually had an Allemand Cornas with the steak Anthony.

[rofl.gif]

Thanks for all the heavy lifting you do in Paris (writing and other). Always a treat.

Fantabulous as usual Jeremy. I`m coming in late on this thread, but please tell me where you warmed up in Amsterdam as I spend a month there every year.