LA Rookies / Casual meetup?

I’m in dtla but open to going to other areas within LA. Would prefer the second weekend of November but could make either work. And I agree w others, for me a specific dollar limit isn’t as important, could be flexible depending on the theme

If people insist on the first meeting being at a restaurant, Colori downtown might work. LA isn’t overflowing with BYOB places but they are there if you look. That said, I have no opposition to hosting the first meeting in my apartment, or going to someone else’s home.

Colori and Maccheroni Republic are definitely good options, however, if you or anyone else don’t mind me making a small mess in their kitchen I’d be happy to make pizzas for the group if others wanted to bring appetizers and/or salads and dessert.

We could use our home in Encino the weekend of November 11 or the 19th or the first week in December.

I take public transit so Encino is a bit of a stretch for me. I’d be willing to do it if most people are in the valley, though. South Pasadena would be more doable. I suppose so far I do seem to be kind of in the middle…

November 11th which is a Friday is a tough night for me but doable if I have to unless what you are referring to is Saturday or Sunday of that weekend. Either way consider me in for that weekend. Ill be away the 19th.

Not sure the valley is doable. If someone has to use public transportation that is too far.

My wife was born in Flatbush.

Not sure if we could host given the 7.5 months pregnant wife, but near us there are two restaurants with decent corkage policies: A Food Affair, and Bella Roma. Both on Robertson south of Pico. Never been to the former, but the latter has some good options. The French mini-chain Bisous also has an outpost in Santa Monica and iirc has $2 corkage.

If we’re talking Saturday night, the Nov 12th is open and the 5th is not for us. Much later than either of those might be tough as d-day nears.

Assuming Andrew’s offer is still open to host and enough people can make it out to Encino I’d be willing to pick you up from and drop you back off at the North Hollywood subway station. There’s a station near Vermont and Sunset so I’m assuming you can get there easily enough.

Well that would be great. Getting to the North Hollywood station is no problem

Are you thinking only no corkage places?

If y’all really want to get down and dirty you can always do dinner at grand central market. We do it occasionally. Just push some tables together and start popping corks.

I’m late to this thread and just signed up for Wine Berserkers but I’m very much interested in joining this. I live in mid-city. I’m pretty amenable to meeting weekends or weeknights.

I am always happy to contribute a dish if we are able to make this work at someone’s home, which is my general preference. As I noted upthread, I’d definitely like to host but don’t yet have my wife fully on board to offer up for the first one. She has only been to a couple of events before and they were both pretty large so I’m not sure that she knows what to expect. She’s mostly afraid that I wouldn’t be able to get everyone to take off their shoes. Once I get that problem solved, our house is very near a gold line stop so transit isn’t a problem.

Seems like we have a general consensus so far of people who are able to make it the 2nd weekend of November.
The list looks like this if my understanding is correct:

Me
dtmoss
Eric Michels
Fred O.
Andrew Kaufman
Adam G.
David Kim
Brandon Econ

Looks like 8 of us so far not including our +1’s. Andrew hasn’t responded yet as to whether he is still open to hosting or not, but if he is I would think it would be fair to let him choose the wine and food theme. Ive made assumptions on my list based on peoples interest to join even though they didn’t officially say yes or no, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

If someone can host, I can provide a vertical tasting of the Saint Emilion that I import from my friend.
The years are 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2010. The tasting will be free.
I live in OC so anything South of LA is preferable. 2nd weekend of November is fine.

Cheers

Philippe, there is another thread of rookies from the OC. I think you’ll have a little more luck getting together with them.

I am also late to this thread - it was brought to my attention via a post on Reddit, and I had to activate a Wine Beserkers account. I would be interested in something like this, especially if it is QPR driven. I live in West LA and weekends/weeknights work for me. The second weekend of November is good, and I have a partner that may or may not be interested. I would also be willing to bring food.

Maybe Mr. and Mrs. Fu can host?

Be weird hosting when I wasn’t even going to the meetup. :wink: